Unable to Line Chimney - Out of options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NorthNJ1989

Nov 6, 2020
New Jersey
Hello!

I recently bought an older home (About 100 years old) and I am struggling to get the traditional wood fireplace's chimney lined so that I may use it safely. The first company I hired came to do the job, and before work began they told me they could not go through with it because the flu was too small and is on a bend and therefore a steel liner would not fit properly (the flu size is 8x8). They recommended that I hire a company that uses Thermocrete, so I followed there advise and booked one.

When the crew came to apply the thermocrete, they ran into the same problem, they stated that the flu was too small and on a bend, and as such they couldn't fit their machinery into the chimney to navigate and spray the thermocrete on the way down to the firebox.

I am really unsure what to do at this point. Is there anyway to successfully line a chimney that has a small 8x8 flu and is on a bend or am I SOL? Would a viable alternative option to be to install a wood stove insert and vent it into the fireplace?

Appreciate your help, thank you so much!

Have you read about just breaking out the old clay liner? That can provide space for a liner. I just tore down the 1963 masonry chimney and fireplace and replaced it with a modern pipe system.

Thank you for your responses! I have heard about the option to break off the clay liner tile, but it appears to be pretty expensive and messy (the one quote I got was 10k!). Below are pictures of my firebox and the flu. Sizes as follows:

1. Firebox: 28 in x 28 in (20.5 in deep)
  2. Flu: 8 in x 8 in
I figure if the flu box is 8 in x 8 in, theoretically a 6 inch liner + 1 inch for insulation should be able to fit, correct? I guess then the issue is the bend in the chimney. But with that said, don't the liners bend? I am a novice at all this so please forgive if I am missing anything obvious.

If I could get away with it, I would like to put in a wood stove insert with a 6 inch lining.

Attachments

• image1 (4).jpeg
    image1 (4).jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 188
  • image0 (3).jpeg
    image0 (3).jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 177
The clay tiles will need to be broken out to fit a 6" liner in with insulation

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Thank you for your responses, my best plan forward then seems as follows:

1) have clay liner smashed up
2) line with a 6 in stainless steel liner
3) Install a wood stove insert that has a 6 in vent

Is it better to have a masonry company or a chimney company do step 1?

Thank you for your responses, my best plan forward then seems as follows:

1) have clay liner smashed up
2) line with a 6 in stainless steel liner
3) Install a wood stove insert that has a 6 in vent

Is it better to have a masonry company or a chimney company do step 1?
A mason will not have the equipment or experience to do it. You need a sweep

There is a youtube video on this using weighted plates. It is dangerous and dirty

I hope you can find a reputable company to do the right thing. What is that pipe inside, pot hanger?

To me that pipe looks like some kind of controller. It appears to have a universal device between the two lengths.

thanks! I had figured it would be a dirty job, what makes it dangerous? Are there lingering effects that myself and family would need to worry about?
Any use of a power tool is dangerous. With these offset devices one is intentionally placing the hand-held tool in a position to lock up and cause injury. I believe the commentator in the video say's those devices are dangerous @1:40. Additionally, if the clay tile is the only thing holding your chimney up, the whole thing could collapse. Your photos seem to indicate a chimney without observable cracks from damage or movement. Best left to a professional.

Very few professionals still use breakers like that we have pretty much all switched to the steel weights on chains. They are much easier on the chimney and the person running the breaker

I was inspired by another thread on this forum about a gentleman who had the same challenges, he overcame by installing a small wood stove insert, the hi200 small wood stove insert which allows a 5.5 in liner.

I had a reputable chimney company come over today to inspect the chimney and he stated a 5.5 in would fit no problem and that this idea could work.

I prefer this option to demolishing out the clay fly tile if it is indeed possible (and safe). I will get a second opinion as well.

I was inspired by another thread on this forum about a gentleman who had the same challenges, he overcame by installing a small wood stove insert, the hi200 small wood stove insert which allows a 5.5 in liner.

I had a reputable chimney company come over today to inspect the chimney and he stated a 5.5 in would fit no problem and that this idea could work.

I prefer this option to demolishing out the clay fly tile if it is indeed possible (and safe). I will get a second opinion as well.
A 5.5 won't fit with insulation anyway.

could it fit if it is not insulated? And if the liner is not insulated does it defeat the whole purpose of putting in a liner from a safety perspective?
Well an uninsulated liner would be better than a failed clay liner. But not by much. And it probably won't meet code or ul listing requirements

Damn, I guess I’m SOL haha. Is there such a thing as a flexible liner that is 5.5-6 in that is pre insulated?
Why not just have the clay tiles removed. We do it all the time.

Nope

Any possibility the hi200 could use a 5 inch liner?

Rockford Chimney rents the chain and metal weight thingy to knock out the tiles.