Unable to Start Cement Board Screws into Metal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kmason

Jul 14, 2022
Tennessee
Good morning. I'm building an outdoor kitchen using steel tube framing. Using cement board screws, I'm unable to get them started into the metal without the screw slipping and damaging the durock. Do I need to predrill them? I'm using the correct bit and screw length (1 1/4in - sold to be by the frame company specifically for concrete board). TIA!!

1.jpg 2.jpg

Do you think the durock screws were designed to self tap into the steel you used? I’ve zipped them through durock and into light weight steel framing but obviously couldn’t have run them into 1/4” plate.

Reactions: Sparkey127
This is heavy gauge steel?
I would think that you will need regular self tapping screws for that...maybe stainless?

Reactions: vinny11950
Cement board screws are technically wood screws with a head that burrows into the cementitious board. I suspect you need to pre drill to use those screws.

That looks like just standard steel framing for walls instead of using wood.. Drywallers use this all the time with no issues.. When you get to the steel framing you have to give it a little extra push to get it to pop into the steel frame. Its a real PIA to get that rhythm down been their done it..

On a side note why use steel framing for a structure like that? Not going to be as sturdy as wood and in a damp environment its going to rust and rot..

What a great outdoor kitchen that will be! Often times I wish I had more outside than just my grill.
On a side note why use steel framing for a structure like that? Not going to be as sturdy as wood and in a damp environment its going to rust and rot..

I thought the steel framing was for the kitchen fixtures? If I do need a pilot hole for a screw into into wood I usually just use an awl. In metal a small diameter drill bit to make a pilot hole if self tapping screws aren't on hand.