Unanticipated benefit of having a blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
This is our second season with our wood stove. This season we have two young boys 3yrs & 18mo. Just at the age where they're horsing around making big messes in a flash and knocking each other over creating instant emergencies all throughout the day.

A few weeks ago I had the thought to put the blower on auto at the lowest fan speed where you only hear it if you're close by and listening for it. There have been a few times since when I couldn't keep my attention on the stove to dial it down before the fire is rip roaring and the griddle is upwards of 800F or more. What I found with the blower on auto is that when it does get take off on me no exterior surface on the stove gets over 650F. It's basically kicking in and actively protecting the surfaces from overfire.

I never considered that benefit when deciding whether or not to purchase the blower. I thought I'd share.

blower on auto at the lowest fan speed where you only hear it if you're close by and listening for it.
Wow, sounds like the Jotul blowers are pretty quiet...that's nice.

Yeah, it really is silent. It will be noticeable when you turn up the speed. But on low you hear only the sound of the blowing air. Not the motor itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.