Uncle Jed's pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellis8

Jan 27, 2014
North Cape, WI
I finally found a source for pellets other than the big box stores and am currently working my way through 25 bags of Uncle Jed's soft wood pellets. Cost is $5 per bag. First impressions are positive, much less and finer ash and a good couple degrees more heat in the rooms the stoves are in at the same settings as hardwood/Marth pellets. I previously tried their Western Elite Ponderosa Pine pellets and Northern Elite hardwood mix pellets as well. The Western Elite worked OK in the Bosca, but no improvement in the Winrich. They are also kind of sticky feeling and don't seem to flow in the hopper very well. The Northern Elite pellets worked well in both the stoves, better than Marth, but with comparable ash, as expected.
I think the Jed's are worth the extra money and plan to load up over the summer.

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
We like the Jed's. we got 2 tons included when we bought our stove. This year they are more ashey than a couple of years ago

We like the Jed's. we got 2 tons included when we bought our stove. This year they are more ashey than a couple of years ago

You may have gotten their blend which has some lodgepole pine in it. It is rated at .33% ash versus their old blend at .25% ash. It doesn't seem like much of a difference, but I can tell the difference in my Castile.

I previously tried their Western Elite Ponderosa Pine pellets and Northern Elite hardwood mix pellets as well. The Western Elite worked OK in the Bosca, but no improvement in the Winrich. They are also kind of sticky feeling and don't seem to flow in the hopper very well.

I noticed that the Western Elite Ponderosa Pine (red bags) left a sticky mess in the hopper of the Castile. Won't be buying that one again.

I purchased a ton of their Western Elite Douglas Fir (green bag) and have been very pleased with them.

No. We got the straight softwood pellets. The ribs actually burn better.

I like the Jed's softwoods. The northern elite hardwoods are Marth pellets, I think. Earth Sense used to sell Marth pellets at the low end of their price list and (I believe) began relabeling them this year. Their website used to say so, but I see they took their price list down.

I bought a ton of Somersets recently from a guy in Iron Ridge, in eastern Dodge County, for $220. He also had Heartland softwood pellets. It's a little far for most of you guys to travel, but maybe someone northwest of Milwaukee might be interested. The pellets have been stored inside all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.