uncooperating thermostat and exhaust blower on quad CB 1200-I

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hans

Oct 16, 2006
Co
peoplepc.com
Can any one shed light on this problem
Stove runs thru its cycles and cools down (normal function) and shuts off
only thing is the red call light is still on, but when I slide the thermostat to (0) deg the exhaust blower comes on and runs for about 5 mins, then shuts it self off
Help!

Are pellets dropping in the burn pot? If yes, does the ignitor start glowing red? If not, the ignitor might be bad. If the stove works normally again after fully cooling down, for another cycle, check the thermocouple over the burn pot. The thermocouple is a temperature sensor that senses whether there is a flame or not. Is it fully inserted in its ceramic housing? Is the ceramic housing clean and right in the flame path?

Situation on this quad 1200-I #1 I turn on the thermostat on, red call light on, it will run the exhaust blower for about 5 mins then shut itself off (no pellet feed) #2 thermostat on again (same as above) #3 I turn on thermostat on the third time (this time I get exhaust blower,pellet feed, fire,blower into room, (Cycles) runs okay for about 30-35 min, then begins to shut itself off. (room temp is only 60deg,temp on thermostat is set on 80deg) Red call light is still on, after blower runs for about 15 mins (Normal cool down it will shut off (Blower) Now when I slide the thermostat to off, the red call lifgt goes off, but the exhaust blower comes on and runs for about 5 min and then shuts itself off. Perplexed!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is going on? I've done all the routine maint and cleaning and new parts
Is the brain out of whack and can this be corrected somehow.
Any one have a solution?
Thx,
tomalh

Not, I don't thinkit's out of whack, but it is possible the new #2 snap switch is no good.

Try shorting out number 2 snap disc with a jumper and run for a couple cycles. Caution, this has full voltage on it. Only work on this with the stove off! -> Make a safe jumper by taking a 4" length of #14 or #12 solid wire. Strip about 1/2" of insulation from each end. Bend the wire into a U shape. Disconnect both connectors to the #2 snap disc. Insert the prongs of the jumper into the two sanp disc's spade lug connectors. Use tape or a wiretie to keep the jumper safe and not touching anything hot. <- Test the stove for a cycle. If that works, you got a marginal snap disc or one that has a low cutoff temp. Replace the snap disc with one that has the correct temp range for #2.

If not, it may be the control box. Hope not, it's pricey. Ask your dealer if you can borrow one for testing or if he will bring one out to test with. It's expensive, so you want to be sure this fixes the stove, but the new design looks better from my experience.

Consolidating info from other thread to here:
My insert is sure acting up, has worked perfect for the past 5 years. I maintain it on a regular basis, but this is what I am up against.
I turn on the thermostat,the exhaust blower comes on,no pellet feed
I turn off the thermostat,exhaust blower runs for about 5 mins then shuts off
I turn on the thermostat again, same cycle as above
When I turn on the thermostat the third time,pellet feeds, I have a fire, cycles okay, blower to room comes on, have fire and heat for about 30 mins,then it starts shutting down on its own, thermostat is set on 80 degrees, house temp is approx 60 degrees
Cycles okay, when stove has cooled down enough, blower shuts off (Normal)
I turn on thermostat a second time, I get pellet feed,fire,blower but starts shutting down by itself in about 10-15 mins.
Pellet feed is good for the time it is running but it shuts itself off.
Can someone offer an idea of what is troubling this insert?
Thanks,
Tomalh

Additional information to try and solve this problem on this quad 1200-i insert, got my gas bill today and just before hollow’s eve it is spooky! to say the least.
This is more info that I have for Begreen and MSg or anyone that can input help with a solution.
Thermostat is mounted on wall around the corner from insert,about 10’ away.
I don’t understand about the air intake being set right,please explain
Note: This stove ran perfect without a flaw for almost 5 years, other than replacing the igniter.
I have checked and cleaned the flue,no obstructions here.
I have also replaced both #1 and # 2 snap disks and thermocouple, replaced cover on thermo over firepot,and a new thermostat (12 milvolt)
Draft problem? I’ll have to trouble shoot or any idea here
Gasket on door looks good and has a good seal
I’ll troubleshoot the gasket seal around the pipes
My next purchase may have to be the vac switch to eliminate another problem.
Any solutions, or ideas toward getting this quad to work like it’s suppose to are certainly appreaciated, Burr!!!!!!!!!!! just had a big storm dump 20” here just west of Golden in the mountains. Got to throw in a little humor,while I type this message with gloves on.
Thx,
Tomalh

Status
Not open for further replies.