undecided after much research - wood stove / hp fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im still looking into a small clearance wood stove if anyone has some good suggestions, but after some discussion it looks like I wont have enough clearance to make an alcove, which I really wanted.

If I decide to go with a ZC fireplace, I would probably duct it. From what I know the FPX36 does not do ducting, anyone have some experience with ducted ZC fireplaces? Im assuming on any type of ZC fireplace you need a blower to have any type of performance in heat output, correct me if Im wrong please. Thanks !

Have you been here?
http://www.chelseafireplacestoveandhearth.com/
They have very limited hours. I cannot recommend them or not, because the only time I stopped in was a Saturday afternoon a couple of weeks ago, and they were closed. On a Saturday afternoon in what should be their silly season??? Anyway, I'm pretty sure the RSF fireplaces can be ducted. I don't think the Pacific Energy FP30 is going to fit in that opening.

Big George's sells Napoleon
http://www.big-georges.com/wood-burning-fireplaces.aspx

I'm pretty sure you can find a stove to work in there. I think the Blaze King Ashford 30 will be ok. It's listed as 29.75" wide, and requires 10.75" on each side. That adds up to less than 52", barely. The Sirocco is a little narrower, and so is the Princess, and that one only needs 10" with side shields. Not trying to sell you on a Blaze King, but those should work, and I'm sure there are others.

Your opening is going to be framed at 52"? Depending on what you put on the walls, the framing may be the nearest combustible.

It does take away from the 52", but it is non-combustible.

It does take away from the 52", but it is non-combustible.

I think the problem is that the entire wall would still be considered combustible as the veneer/cement board will heat up and transfer the heat to the studs behind it. The local building inspector should be able to clarify that.

Reactions: jeff_t
The princess dimensions would fit, but very close, with a total width of 45", but thats with sideshields. Do side shields take significant heat away from the entire system or actually help transfer from the sides to the front? Im curious how much is lost by putting in sideshields.

I think the problem is that the entire wall would still be considered combustible as the veneer/cement board will heat up and transfer the heat to the studs behind it. The local building inspector should be able to clarify that.

Yeah, it depends I think.

Blaze King gives the minimum alcove width as 48" for the Ashford and Sirocco 30, 47" for the Princess.

The princess dimensions would fit, but very close, with a total width of 45", but thats with sideshields. Do side shields take significant heat away from the entire system or actually help transfer from the sides to the front? Im curious how much is lost by putting in sideshields.

The side shields establish a convective loop around the firebox with cold air entering at the bottom and hot air flowing out the top. That will reduce the heat that goes directly to the side where the wall is. There won't be any heat lost although it gets me wondering whether stove heat shields would have a significant cooling effect on the firebox.

Side shields give the stove much more convective characteristics, and much less radiant. Meaning the stove will heat the air more, and surrounding objects less. BTUs is BTUs. They stay in your home either way.

The Princess isn't a real radiant monster, anyway. There are shields inside that are spaced in from the sides of the stove an inch or so. I believe this is to help with side clearance. There are no bricks above the one row on the bottom.

The Ashford and Sirocco share the same steel firebox with different exteriors. This makes the stove more convective to begin with. There are no side shields, as they are more or less incorporated into the design of the stove.

after doing a couple hours of research on hearth and other sites I still cannot decide what to install. Some details about the location and home:

Southern Michigan, new construction
1200 sqft first floor
1600 sqft second floor, only 2 story foyer is at the entrance
The house just got framed, I have a full size chimney all the way up. I know someone that had a FPX36 and swears by it, which I am considering. I have a friend that has a wood burning stove and he swears by that, though he has a tiny ranch. Really, I dont want to "waste" the chimney space, want something that can keep at least my first floor warm during the day. The big concern I have with the FPX36 is if the power goes out, there is no blower, which the FPX36 heavily relies on for moving heat.

Your thoughts? Chimney opening is located in the living room, open floor plan to kitchen/nook. Would a wood burning stove function at its fullest being somewhat half in the fireplace half out?

Thanks everyone for your time, excited but intimidated by all the options.

While the new fireplaces are better at heating than they used to be, they still won't heat like a stove. So if heat is one of your primary concerns I'd go ahead and scratch the fireplace.

Looking at the princess, I can make an alcove and meet clearance requirements. Now, if I can go bigger, it all depends on if the stone and cement board counts as combustible or not.

The only deal wit hthe princess is I dont see a blower and cold air intake

Cold air intake hooks up to the bottom of the thermostat housing on the back, and the blowers mount back there, too.

Reactions: R'Lee
Put it in the middle of the room if you can. Get a nice stove, much better performance that way usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.