Under ground storage tanks???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most septic tanks are 1000 gallons. Usually the cheapest tank you can buy on a per gallon basis. They are watertight.

actually septic tanks are sized by bedroom numbers, 1000=3bedroom, 1250/4 1500/5 ect, they are usally manufactured and delivered in 2 pieces. Most precasters can modify things like thickness and rebar detail ect. As tom says, it would offer good protection for a dropped in tank. A concrete block structure on a poured floor and sprayed with rubberwall for waterproofing could work also.

I think you guys misunderstood my statement about the septic tank.
Its not to be used to hold water as a storage tank, but to be used as an underground room to house the 2 vertical propane tanks.
It might be cheaper than forming out walls and pouring concrete.

My original thought was to dig a hole, drop in the tanks, insulate the tanks and backfill with dirt. But, after some provoking thoughts about the tanks sitting in wet ground and not being able to be inspected, the idea of having a dry room seems more logical. So, I could form and pour walls or buy a precast box big enough for 2 tanks and for me to get down into the hole and maneuver around them for inspection. Putting a concrete lid with a manhole cover would be the point of access and having a gravel floor would allow any water that might get in, to drain.

A friend suggested I stand a 1000 gallon tank on the side of the garage, paint it and the garage red so they look like a barn and silo, ;hm
That will totally go with the neighborhood:confused:

Maybe your neighbor down the street, who likes the smell of the smoke from your stack, would help you install the tank. If you tell him it will mean more efficient burns and less smoke! ==c Hey. You never know. It's worth a shot my friend. ;lol

I think you guys misunderstood my statement about the septic tank.
Its not to be used to hold water as a storage tank, but to be used as an underground room to house the 2 vertical propane tanks.
It might be cheaper than forming out walls and pouring concrete.

I think you need to go look at the size of a 2k gallon septic tank... then look at propane tanks. The septic tank MAY be 4 or 5 feet high. Vertical propane tanks are 10 feet high! Digging a 4 foot hole in the ground and keeping water out.. not a big deal. Digging 10 feet down and getting water out.. MUCH bigger deal.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.