Q&A Under the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

we are new to "Stoving".The stove sits 5.5 inch's off the floor, my floor is , from the top down, 12x12 ceramic tile, thin set mortar, a Durock sheet, 1/4" mortar, thin sheet metal, and 3/4 inch plywood. The question is, Is it normal for the tiles directly under the stove to get very hot? They seem to be retaining the heat long after the fire burns down, does my installation protect the plywood from spontainiously combusting?

should I put a piece of sheet metal on top of the tile to help disipate the heat? should I put sand in the bottom of the stove? or is this the way the whole "under the stove thing goes?"

Answer:

Yes, it is normal for the stove tiles to get and stay very hot. Heat is relative, but to give you some indication of temperatures, keep the following in mind:

1. You cannot easily touch surfaces in excess of 150 degrees

2. Scalding water is 120-130 degrees

3. A very hot radiator in your car or home is 180-200 degree

4. Many codes allow combustible (wood, etc) surfaces to get as hot as 200 degrees

5. Wood ignites at 500 degree plus..there is some evidence of ignition of wood at lower temperatures, but only after a long period of heating where the wood turns to charcoal first.

A layer of sand or ash in the base of the stove is a good idea both to protect the cast iron against cracking from heat shock and to retard downward radiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.