underground insulated pipe options???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricV

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Saranac, NY
I would like to run underground pipes to my shop from my house where the Tarm is.

What options are out there?

I don't heat it full time so extreme insulation value isn't critical and it's about 50 feet.

Thanks in advance
Eric

I would use pex pipe, won't bust and I'll need antifreeze anyway.

I'm new to all of this so keep that in mind as you read this.

Could you setup a plate heat exchanger off your current system with a dedicated circuit for the shop? It would cost a bit more because you'd need another pump and a heat exchanger but going this route it would seem that you could use glycol so that in the event that the circuit isn't in use you don't have to worry about it freezing up. Also, this way you only have to purchase enough glycol for the shop circuit instead of the whole system.

If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll draw it out.

Edit: Didn't even address the original question. Heh, whoops. Have you thought about foaming the lines in place in the ground?

Yep, that's exactly the route I'm taking. I have the exchanger and expansion tank, pump, etc.

Installing the lines in the ground is my next concern. I thought of foam insulation tubes for pipes. I found some that are R 5.0

Foaming in place is a good idea too.

Here in the next year or two I plan on trying the same thing so I'm interested in seeing how well it works. Make sure you post your results!

Foaming in place may be the best way as i plan to add DHW solar panels to the shop roof as well. I could put all 4 lines in at 1 time and be ready for that project ahead of time.

Maybe a 6" square box of hard foam, 3 sided and fill it with 2 part flotation boat foam. It's closed cell foam.

mogmen said:
I ran Dual 1.5" PEX insulated pipe from the boiler to the house . My run is 100'. I purchased the pipe from Rovanco. It was $28/foot. Ouch!

www.rovanco.com

Ouch is right!!! When I paid $13/LF for CB's Therma-Pex I thought that was bad enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.