Unexpected firewood gift

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
A friend of mine dropped me an email Friday asking me if I wanted 2/3rd of cord of firewood. He had done a couple of house relocations in the last two years or so and the latest home is across state lines and too far to haul his wood a second time. This was all very dry hardwood that was at least two years old under a sheet of old roof tin sitting on the sunny side of a garage. The house he is selling near me has been sitting on the market for awhile and I guess the wood pile although attractive to woodburners was something that needed to go for marketing the house. I gladly assisted and hauled the wood and took several sheets of the roof tin he had used to cover his wood (that he would have had to have junked). I had not moved my intended winters wood into the woodshed yet so it went right in. Its a nice mix of northern hardwood, maple, ash a bit of yellow birch and some cherry and is baked dry. I have one wood pile that going to get a sheet of the tin and then the other sheets will get hauled to where I get my wood and I will start a few covered piles out in the woods. This finally gets me into a full two year wood rotation. I am north of the "oak line" so 2 years is plenty of drying for the local wood.

2/3rds of a cord puts you past 2 years? You must burn more than a cord a year.

I burn about 2.5 to 3 cords a year. That and my minisplit heats the house. About the only time my oil runs is when I am out of town in cold weather. Been three years since I last filled the oil tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.