Unexpected Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
We had a major blizzard blow through here last week, and we had all sorts of things come down. I ended up losing 6 or 7 trees in the backyard, a few good sized limbs in the front, and all around town things have been crashing down. I guess that is what 2 feet of heavy, wet snow will do in the spring!

Unfortunately none of the trees I wanted to come down came down, but it should keep me busy for a while. I ended up getting about 1/2 cord so far, and that is only the limbs. its all box-elder right now, but it dries quick, it burns, and its free! i'll have to get some pictures of the damage! Its a good thing I just got the new spark plug in the saw! It definitely makes a difference.

Reactions: D8Chumley
It's always a mixed bag when you get wood from storm damage since it caused damage to your trees, but it is free wood. I didn't know that you had Box elder out there!

I have been a Broncos fan here in PA. since 1973, so I ask "are things finally calming down out that way, all the celebrations?" It probably has since so many players jumped ship, some even right away after they won! <>

i wish we didn't have box elder... that is all that is in my yard! Celebrations have died down, but I'm a packers fan....

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
i was not, but i happened to be in Massachusetts during the Green Bay/Pats game... that didn't go over so well either!

Cannot beat free in ur back yard

Cannot beat free in ur back yard
that's where most of my wood has come from so far... with the exception of a few loads here and there.

i went to the free limb dropoff the city is having, and ended up dumping a bunch of the smaller stuff, but managed to come home with half a truck bed worth of good size pieces people had brought to dump!

so over the course of the week, I ended up taking 17 loads of brush, including 4 loads of a giant rose hip that fought back pretty hard. Just about every time I went up there to dump something, i got a score. A lot of it was boxelder, but I grabbed about half a truckload of maple, 2 aspen trees (yes, trees.... 10" round, 18' long), a few days worth of pine, and some other stuff i don't know what it is, but will split it and burn it anyway! I will have to take a picture of it....

not to mention 2 truck fulls of woodchips, and a few rocks for the stone wall.

We had a major blizzard blow through here last week, and we had all sorts of things come down. I ended up losing 6 or 7 trees in the backyard, a few good sized limbs in the front, and all around town things have been crashing down. I guess that is what 2 feet of heavy, wet snow will do in the spring!

Unfortunately none of the trees I wanted to come down came down, but it should keep me busy for a while. I ended up getting about 1/2 cord so far, and that is only the limbs. its all box-elder right now, but it dries quick, it burns, and its free! i'll have to get some pictures of the damage! Its a good thing I just got the new spark plug in the saw! It definitely makes a difference.

Pics or the trees will replant themselves.==c

bob

Reactions: Oldman47
I will snap some today. i was hoping for a before and after of the back yard....

Here are some after photos. 20160405_171827.jpg 20160405_171648.jpg 20160405_171348.jpg 20160405_171355.jpg 20160405_172259.jpg

You got some nice White Birch there too!

pretty sure it is aspen... i thought it might have been birch, but there is not a ton of that around.

20150104_122453.jpg A few months ago
20150425_190559.jpg This was last april, when we took down a few....
20150628_204851.jpg This was the brush pile after the cleanup.... well part of it. It ended up being 30' long, 15' high, and about 12' deep. The pile of logs are 4' logs in this picture.
20150630_071954.jpg this was after we had 3 guys dragging brush for 8 hours and chipping it.

Attachments

• 20140727_175133.jpg
    20140727_175133.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 78
and another bit from today's score.... 20160409_123719.jpg
not bad for driving around the neighborhood... i also ended up with some 4x6" timbers.... those are going to landscaping though...

i meant to take a picture of todays score, but didn't, so it didn't happen. If i Did, i would say it was a pretty good one. some standing dead aspen (3 trees), a black walnut (standing dead), a good size maple (dead), and a few smaller green aspen. Filled the back of the truck with 6' lengths. Best part is, I left the brush I didn't want to deal with in a pile in my friends yard! at this point, I am not short on kindling!

Status
Not open for further replies.