Unexpected Scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I've been out of town for most of the past three straight weeks. Yesterday, I was driving past our little rural community park and noticed a small pile of bucked wood next to a tree. "Hmmm!" says I. I wheel around and drive up into the wooded parkland and find a good little stack of freshly cut water oak. I load it up and look around and see three more stacks or similar size: some more water oak and some nice pignut hickory. These are all about six to eight inch branches with only a couple of uglies. I took home almost a pickup truck bed load. Maybe a quarter cord. Good, freshly cut green wood. Rather inconsiderate of them to buck it up to about 25 inches. Don't they know it won't fit in my stove? Oh well, I have the means to make it work and that'll leave me a bunch of four inch chunks to burn as fillers.

park2.jpg

park1.jpg

Flavo said:
As some one who often sees bucked wood myself. How do you make a determination if the wood is for the taking? If I can't find a land owner I would typically just drive by w/ lust in my eyes.

In this particular case, the wood was on common ground owned and maintained by the property owners. Around here though, one can often see stacks of wood bucked by the electric coop clearing easements. It's generally accepted that the property owner where the easement lays gets the wood but nothing prevents you from stopping to ask for it.

What size wood fits in your stove front to back (north/south as they say)? 25 inches sounds like it might make two front to back pieces, and cutting in half can be easier than cutting a short piece off the end. It is nice to have some north/south pieces.

Wood Duck said:
What size wood fits in your stove front to back (north/south as they say)? 25 inches sounds like it might make two front to back pieces, and cutting in half can be easier than cutting a short piece off the end. It is nice to have some north/south pieces.

Eight or nine inch depth, so cutting in half doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.