Unexpected wood score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barmstrong2

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2007
Maine
We were sitting at the garage Tuesday, waiting for snow to roll in, when we got a phone call from the power company. They had a large ash to cut in town and didn't have the equipment in the area to remove it. They didn't want to leave it roadside due to the size of it, and, as we were expecting snow, they thought it would be a hazard to the plows.
One of my coworkers and I went out with a loader and a 10 yard dump. The trunk of this tree is 45" across. Filled the dump and we carried two logs back in the loader bucket.
ash.jpg

Let me get this straight - you earn a paycheck and then while still on the clock you get this awesome score? Yep, You SUCK !!!

That is how everyone should get firewood. Nice grab.

Nice score.
The folks where I work are clearing trees on this hillside behind where I work & everytime I go by I think...
"If I had a pick-up..."

Can you take pics of the Ash close up?
They just dont grow that size around here.
Even if you had a pickup you'ld need a hydraulic lift or carry axe with you to process those rounds.
It feels as heavy as Oak to me.

Can you take pics of the Ash close up?
They just dont grow that size around here.
Even if you had a pickup you'ld need a hydraulic lift or carry axe with you to process those rounds.
It feels as heavy as Oak to me.
They're under snow now, but, I'll get more pics as soon as I can. The boat is only 15 feet or so to the left of the pile, so, that's some pretty good perspective of the size. These are very heavy, even cut to 18" length. We rolled them into the loader bucket. They'll be split right where they are and loaded into my trailer in reasonable sizes. I can't lift them.

Another good perspective is that the pile you see filled a 10 yard dump truck. That's a dual axle, 10 wheeled truck.

Last edited:
Nice. Take advantage when you can.

At my old job we did clearing of a subdivision over the winter. No burning allowed and it had to be chipped so we took the trees down with the excavator, blocked or loaded the nice logs into dump trucks and hauled to our houses. Granted we were mostly all on salary so no overtime, but we accomplished all the clearing and only had a pile of brush to easily chip. I got 2 loads - one cherry and another box elder and walnut. I got the worst. There was some nice elm and a few oaks there, but the head foreman managed to have that fall in his driveway.

Had your luck today electric company I work for cut three black locusts down and into three to five foot pieces. They had been sitting by the road for couple days drove by today and lucked out was told I could have what's left only the big stuff but still half a truck load. Not bad made today a good work day. Don't have pics it was dark.

Reactions: barmstrong2
Nice. Take advantage when you can.

At my old job we did clearing of a subdivision over the winter. No burning allowed and it had to be chipped so we took the trees down with the excavator, blocked or loaded the nice logs into dump trucks and hauled to our houses. Granted we were mostly all on salary so no overtime, but we accomplished all the clearing and only had a pile of brush to easily chip. I got 2 loads - one cherry and another box elder and walnut. I got the worst. There was some nice elm and a few oaks there, but the head foreman managed to have that fall in his driveway.
I live in the town where I work, so, is not over the line for me to take some of these. Other residents are also welcome to it. There are 2 of us working that burn wood, so, we usually get first grab. But, if a resident stopped by and asked, we're kind of obligated to let them have it. Of course, the landowner always trumps everyone.
Wow. I'm jealous. That's gotta be like a cord and a half, right? I'm going by your dimensions.

Congrats, man. That's a great score.
That's what I figured, too. About 1-1/2 cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.