Unfamiliar wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Please help me. What did I just scrounged?
I think I know but not much experience with such wood.

Attachments

• mysterywoods.jpg
    mysterywoods.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 525
Almost looks like shag bark, but can't tell for sure from that picture.

woodsmaster said:
Almost looks like shag bark, but can't tell for sure from that picture.
I thought that too at first but the heart wood , would be alot darker if it were Hickory. Some fresh cut ends wood make it an easier ID.

White Oak, you lucky dog! :coolsmile: Got medullary rays?

C'mon, give us the background story!

Thanks guys, pretty sure now its Sharbark. Definetely not oak, unless its one I have never seen before.

Woody Stover said:
White Oak, you lucky dog! :coolsmile: Got medullary rays?

C'mon, give us the background story!
With no paying work, I asked a friend if I could pick his burn pile. I dumped some trash wood and picked up some good wood.

gzecc said:
pretty sure now its Sharbark. Definetely not oak, unless its one I have never seen before.
That's even better...awesome score!

My first thought was white oak or shagbark. Heartwood didn't seem dark enough for shagbark hickory so my guess was white oak.

Oak is easy for me in person--it smells like oak lumber when freshly cut or split.

TreePointer said:
+1 on white oak.
There may be some white oak on the trailer, but I was only concerned with the longer branches that have the scaly bark. I am most certain after splitting them, that they are hickory.

Yeah they definately are not maple, too scaly for branches that size and if they were maple the heartwood would be dark and the sapwood would be lighter.....my guess would be shagbark also. Def not white oak, can't see the characteristic end grain when I zoom the pics in......either way, great score! That stuff would be heavenly in my smoker!!!

Shaggy!

Reddish under bark once you peel the shag off also says to me shag bark from some of reddish parts I see...

Status
Not open for further replies.