Unfortunate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Bigwood

Dec 13, 2005
Dowling, MI
I have been real concerned with the number of fatal fires that have been caused by wood burning stoves here in west Michigan. Not sure if stove operation, install or poor
stove manufacturing is to blame.... House fires really scare me.... I hope that all of you are safe and using your stoves properly cleaning your chimney's and flue.

peace,
db

That is sad. These fires increase in extremely cold weather as people try to stay warm by any means available. The stoves are often run at maximum temps which can bring out systemic weaknesses.

Often fires like this are a combo of multiple failures. Unfortunately even the best stove can't protect against human ignorance. If the stove is installed without regard to clearances and combustibles, overfired, or connected to an unsafe flue and/or burning poor fuel without frequent cleaning, it can be a recipe for disaster.

You're right there, BeGreen, human ignorance runs rampant. Around here the renters are using space heaters and placing them near curtains, bedding or right next to the couch to stay warm. You wonder how some people can walk and talk at the same time. Every morning on tv there is at least one or two videos of tenements with three or more families left homeless by carelessness. I guess they are to busy to wacth tv.Of course woodburners also do some unusual things like placing hot ashes in a cardboard box and then placing it on their deck. Or in the fall, throwing ashes out in the leaves thinking the ashes are not hot; instant grass fire. Duh! Or waiting till they have a chimney fire and then fire dept. will finish the cleaning their chimney. The joys of rural living.

One big problem we have is "old school" people installing a woodstove without realizing how markedly the industry has improved what is available to provide a safe wood burning environment.

And, some people actually are aware of the fact that they need to upgrade their systems but put it off for the sake of money. Money will not help a buning home and a dying family back from the abyss once the event has begun. Only with the grace of GOD do some survive these fires: and many do not survive.

The wood burning experience has rapidly evolved from the 70's until now. It has taken many disasters to enable us to realize what had to be done and to do it. In today's world, it is possible to install a safe and efficient wood stove or insert and sleep well with it burning.

It is like most things, people are ignorant of or do not believe the facts thinking they can get away with this or that. If most people knew the facts, they would upgrade to a safe system quickly. BUT, there are always some (we see them here) who will justify gerry-rigged heat ventilation, inadequate flue installations and various other items that were fine in the 70's before we knew better. We now know better and my hope is that through this and other industry information forums, people become aware of and implement new technology to protect their families and themselves.

And just remember that one bad chimney fire and resulting house fire will quickly outstrip any savings from heating with wood.

I think another problem is the philosophy that "This is how it's always been, so it must be OK", or something to that effect.

Times change, we continue to learn, and we must make adjustments as we go.

-SF

A lot of stoves and installations have been resurrected after not being used for decades- you can see the interest here on used stoves and bargains. Very often these installations are not done correctly in the first place - let alone up to code (even former code, let alone modern ones).

The sad part is that many current wood burners do not have the money to do it right. Ideally, they should not do it at all....we all hear about folks who have to choose between heat and food or heat and medication/health care.

Unfortunately, none of us can fix all the problems in the world, or even in our own neighborhoods. But I would council that folks should look at the fuel assistance programs and other such help before venting a wood stove in an unsafe manner.

For the last year I have had a daily Google News search set up for house fires involving wood stoves. Virtually every one of them involves stuff being too close to a stove and catching fire. Up to and including one today where a dang cat pushed a chair up against a pellet stove and set the floor on fire.

Sure ya got a ritzy new stove and Class A chimney. Move the pile of National Geographic mags to the other side of the room. And that firewood!

Of course there was another one today where the woman put the paper bag of pellet stove ashes where the deck used to be. Attached to where the side of the house used to be.

I think you are correct, BB, that there are vastly more fires related to stuff like that than even bad installations. So even if everything was installed perfectly, you could not save people from themselves.

I think the kitchen is the #1 room in the house where fires start - and not much wood burning there.

Just as an aside Craig, I like that new Avatar; what song are you playing?

Webmaster said:
I think you are correct, BB, that there are vastly more fires related to stuff like that than even bad installations. So even if everything was installed perfectly, you could not save people from themselves.

I think the kitchen is the #1 room in the house where fires start - and not much wood burning there.

except for my house where the wood stove is in the kitchen :) thats where some body before I bought the place built a stone hearth.

Boy this thread strikes home to me. I have really good smoke detectors and probably too many!! LOL if thats possible. I am a member of a fire department, and it gets you thinking of these things, and about 3/4 of all structure fire calls are related to wood burning. What I see most are chimney fires, and lack of knowledge causing them. Some people, me included, are oblivious as to how to correctly fire a stove, and have to learn by trial and error, or by folks here. I really think dealers need to do a better job at educating the consumer. I asked questions and didn't get very good answers. Just yesterday I made contradicting statements to "test" the dealer as well as try to learn something, and he agreed that both were probably true!! basically asking if wood was too wet or dry. Anyway, my daughter always asks "why are you so worried about that stove?" and my answer is "when you are throwing peoples crap (and thats what is when I get there) out the window (that isn't there anymore) and they start screaming and crying about grandma's whatever, it has an effect on you." Just keep that in mind and be safe!

To dealers, know your stoves, proper burning techniques for it, max temps etc, and try to educate your buyer. If they don't want to hear it then at least you can sleep knowing you tried to help.

Hey, that is extremely nice;(way cool) you can enjoy family and life along with this obsession of ours! Congratulations to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.