1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Union No 212 - Coal Stove?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by MasterMech, Mar 28, 2012.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Hey y'all!

My FIL picked up this old stove for free to use as decoration. Looks like a coal stove to me, anybody know anything about them?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    Definitely a coal stove, Is that a crack in the second picture? Otherwise (and still may be) worth restoring.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Railroad coal stove? Looks like it is only good for decoration or a planter now.
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

He has no intentions of firing this thing again. He just liked the way it looked. I'm curious to about how old it is and Google isn't turning up much on it.

The crack and warping on the bottom definitely relegates it to a non-functional decoration.
  5. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    It's hard to find information on many old stoves; there were so many small outfits making them in the early part of last century. I've tried in vain to find anything on the "Daisy" coal stove (a sheet metal and firebrick cylinder stove) I have in my cabin, save that it was made in the 1920s in Poughkeepsie, NY.

Yours does look like a stove I saw in a tourist train that runs around Newport, RI.