Uniqe Damper handle replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davelam

Oct 31, 2014
Livonia, mi
image.jpg I recently purchased this home that was built in the 50s and the damper handle is broken I cannot seem to find a replacement onlineand was wondering if anyone here knew where to find one or an alternative? I do plan to put an insert in eventually but not this year

Looks to me like you could remove the pin & take the stub to a welder. He/she could weld an extension onto it. It could be any configuration you want...round, flat, both...

Can you weld? endless options with a welder

I cannot weld but I'm sure I could find someone. I guess I didn't think cast iron could be welded.
Going to look into that. Thanks guys!

Cast can be welded - not as easily as mild steel but for this application it should be structurally sound. Or, you could fab up a part from mild steel and forgo the broken cast piece altogether.

A cast weld will hold if done well enough and there is not a lot of stress put on the weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.