Unique Fisher Grandma?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
I picked up this Grandma last week, it was pretty rough. I spent the day sanding and re-painting. I had asked a few questions in the Grandma/Grandpa thread but decided to start a new thread. I was able to get some pics with my phone, sorry for the poor quality. I still can't find my camera.

The last pic is of the leg leveler, the chrome ball slips over the stud and a set screw secures it. Do the other chrome feet or old handles have set screws?
It has the angle iron corners with no taper at the bottom.
It measures 251/2" wide. The brochure said 241/2. Is it normal to have differences like this?
It also has an extra firebrick in the back, above the bottom row. The baffle was notched around the brick.
Maybe some one could shed some light on this stove.

Attachments

• fisher.jpg
    fisher.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 458
  • fisher 3.jpg
    fisher 3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 380
  • fisher 2.jpg
    fisher 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 384
Reactions: Todd67
1979 was the first year the cathedral door was available as an option on the old style box with angle iron corners. That's what you have. In 1980 those doors were the only style available, and the box became a one piece wrap around with 3 bolt on leg styles. These became the Fisher Stove II. Yours is a I with the new style doors. Width was 24 1/2" on 1977 drawing. This was revised in later models. The size is normal at 25 1/2" across top plate as shown in this 1980 brochure. (And specified 25 1/2 in 1980 GM and GP III stove manual.

IMG_0014.jpg

Yes, the ball feet have a set screw to tighten against the threaded rod.

Here's how your stove was probably painted;

Grandma 1-28-80 front.jpg

Notice as shown in above 1980 brochure, they were available in black (Classic), nickel plate (Contemporary) or black with brass draft cap. (Touch of Brass)
Here's the correct paint scheme for the draft caps; After painting the caps, wipe the edges with mineral spirits to clean paint off the fin edges before firing.

Front Bottom.jpg

Yes, there are variations in the way fabricators made the stoves and slight variations of size.
Here is how the Dunn Brothers (VA and W.VA) made some of their double door stoves. Notice the hinge plates are BELOW the bottom hinge, and ABOVE the top hinge. These stoves were also made wider, so the hinge plates are longer to mount the same Grandma doors to the stove. This is the most noticable variation I've seen so far;

Grandma outboard hinge plates 7.jpg

Thanks for the info! This thing was all black, and rust. Actually mostly rust. The draft caps were painted all black to. I was playing around with my alum. metallic stove bright paint. I thought it added a glam to it. So you think that spirits will take the paint off, back to original condition? If so, I'll give it a try. Thanks

Thanks for the update. I am trying to get ahold of a Grandma 111 that's on craigslist. The thing's that are different than what I have seen is: it's on a pedestal and the air control is below the ash pan.

It is painted brown and has the glass that is flat on top. Is it a Grandma 3?

Before firing heat resistant paint for the final cure, mineral spirits (the old flamable stuff) removes it fairly easily. Otherwise, laquer thinner is a lot quicker but affects the original paint as well.
Paint changes the looks so easy, it's hard to tell what original was on a stove.
Grandma III 5.jpg

Like with collecting lanterns, many were painted over and over, correct or incorrect. It's actually a good thing, since it protects the metal and is an easy thing to remove or change. It's personal preference on a user stove.

Thanks for the update. I am trying to get ahold of a Grandma 111 that's on craigslist. The thing's that are different than what I have seen is: it's on a pedestal and the air control is below the ash pan.

It is painted brown and has the glass that is flat on top. Is it a Grandma 3?

No pedestal Grandma. (Only Teddy and Goldilocks with door intakes, and Honey Bear with pull lever for mobile home, or slider above and below doors for conventionial home)
No ash pan either. I think you mean "ash fender".
You're describing a Honey Bear. They are much smaller than Grandma, only 18 inch square box.

Ya, ash fender. I'm so used to the new stoves it just kinda comes out i guess. I'm anxious to hear back from the guy. I can post a link if you have any interest in it. It looks big in the picture, I am speculating that it's a Fisher based on looks. He doesn't say in the post. Thanks

I'd like to see it. Couldn't find it. Found yours though.

Yes, It's a Honey Bear.

Notice how large the handles appear ? They are the same size handles as any other model, the stove is THAT small !

Honey Bear.jpg

Here's a dollar bill on one for size comparison. The spring handles look too big on them as well.
And a Maas polish can next to one of their small doors;

P1310069.JPG Starting to polish left door.JPG

Cool, thanks for your help. I'll let you if I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.