Unique situation involving replacing a old wood stove with newer unit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Smokie

Feb 8, 2011
N. Va
I am a newbie so I need major info in what to do.

I have a free standing "cat" stove that was installed and made in '97. When the stove over heated, the chimney caught on fire. SupuFlu installed their pour in place product in the chimney. The chimney is now only 8 inch's in diameter...the same size of my smoke pipe. It has worked great for years. I recently discovered several of my firebrick were cracked, so I replaced them. This is when I discovered that the stove was warped where the the cat is held in place ( I just found this out despite cleaning of the chimney by professionals for years).

So...my questions and comments are:

1#
When I purchase a new stove (air wash system) how am I going to hook a 6 inch smoke pipe to a 8 inch flue? If I use a 6 inch to 8 inch adapter, is my chimney going to be to big to draw the flue gas's properly? If yes, what are my alternatives to ensure that the system works properly?
I base the 6 inch size on what the Mfg's sell today.

What is a good stove that is 100% USA made and can handle 22 inch long logs?

My current stove has 3.4 cu ft firebox. It gave me a 9-11 hr burn time before reloading...It was just perfect until I installed the new Windows and doors (see below). Now It runs me out of the house, even when the temps are in the single digits. How much smaller stove do I need?

I WILL CONSIDER A USED STOVE if the price is right.

My house is a TRUE 6 inch white cedar log home with an open loft. 1800 Sq Ft
The house is quite tight since I installed all new double pane, low E windows and doors.

I primarily heat with wood unless the outside temps are above 40 degrees. Then I have to use the Heat pump....during those times....

Thank you for taking the time to read my post

You should have no problem using a reducer in the thimble to accommodate the 6" pipe from a new stove. The smooth continuous interior of a Supaflu liner with its spiral striations produces an extremely good draft. The only other factor would be chimney height.

Lots of good stoves available. As far as American made, kind of depends on your definition. Jotul for example brings the castings from Norway, but assembly of most stoves for the North American market is done in Maine.

Thank you for the quick reply. I guess I should have made myself clearer when it comes to where the stove is made. I just don't want any made in China stoves.

My chimney height measured from the thimble to the crown on the chimney is 32 ft.

Sounds like that is a strong drafting flue. It doesn't sound like going from 6 to 8" using a transition increaser will be a problem.

Given the criteria, the Lopi Liberty would be on the top of my list. I'd also look at Buck and Englander (30NC) stoves, made in your neck of the woods. Note that the Buck 84 (non-cat) and Buck 91 (cat) stoves are already 8" flue. No transition needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.