Unique way to moisten the air moist without the use of a stove top kettle steamer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

Jan 16, 2008
Putnam, CT
I just wanted to post a little unique way I keep my air moist without the use of a stove top kettle steamer. Directly across from my wood stove about 20 feet away, I have a water fountain sitting on a table next to my couch. It has one of those black slate slabs that the water runs down. I have the face of the slab directly in line with the radiant heat from the fire of the wood stove. The black surface area of the slab absorbs a little heat and the water trickling down it evaporates rather quickly. The base of the fountain needs to be filled with water daily because of this but it works great in aiding the drier air. Besides the sound of tricking water and crackling wood is one great way to relax after a long day : -)

Sounds pretty neat. It might be interesting to do an experiment. Measure how much water you have to add daily; perhaps taking measurements for a week or more. Then do the same with a steamer on the stove. Naturally you'd have to shut off the fountain for the second half of the experiment. You probably would also do best to wait until next winter and do this when it is quite cold outside.

Sounds like a fun experiment for next year :p . Right now it's about two quarts a day.

Hell, I just hang the laundry in the basement one day and toss it in the dryer the next. It cuts propain (and I mean it the way its spelled) use by well over half and keeps the moisture up. It is amazing how much you can toss over a piece of army 550 cord strung across the house down there. It also gives my copper pipes a use now that they no longer do much of anything heating the house. Ain't pretty but it works.

Flame said:
Sounds like a fun experiment for next year :p . Right now it's about two quarts a day.
On our current stove we can go through 5 or 6 gallons a day in a 150 year old house on a steel stove. In our other house we would do about 2-3 gallons in the same iron kettle. I assume this is mostly due to the lower surface temps of the hearthstone mansfield we had, but some may also be the tighter home.

tuolumne,
now that's some water ! I would imagine that the fountain is just a nice little aid to the drier air. It is funny that you had a Mansfield and now have my old flame, the Timberline. This is the exact opposite of my scenario. I did love that old stove. It kept my basement roasting in the upper 90's. This made for a comfy second floor though (toasty wooden floors and all). I am wondering if you know the size of your fire box? I am thinking it was as big if not bigger then my Mansfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.