United states pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcwilliams

Aug 20, 2016
ohio
I just got done installing my stove. First stove I've ever had. Only had one spot in the house that I could out one and I went for it. Caulk is still drying but I wanted to post some pics that way if anyone seen anything wrong or concerns I could fix them...
Thanks
20161001_125600.jpg
20161001_125618.jpg
20161001_130015.jpg
20161001_130202.jpg
20161001_130214.jpg
20161001_144536.jpg

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't worry about the pictures. Not many here are in thier right mind:) Looks ok if you have all your proper distances.

Yes. I have proper clearances from the wall to the stove which is 3inches spec I have more like 5inches and pipe cap is well over 24 inches from the ground. I think that is all correct....

What pipe did you use

Hope no joints inside the thimble! A roll of self bonding silicone tape used on the joints will keep the joints from leaking but able to easily take the pipe apart if needed versus the use of tube silicone . Those flexable joints are very prone to leaking.

Last edited:
Hope no joints inside the thimble! A roll of self bonding silicone tape used on the joints will keep the joints from leaking but able to easily take the pipe apart if needed versus the use of tube silicone . Those flexable joints are very prone to leaking.
No I pulled stove out so I didn't have a joint in the thimble. I didn't think about silicone giving me troubles later on but that's what I used in all the joints. Then I siliconed around the thimble with it also.

Well your next trip to the store put the roll of tape on the list. Usually in either plumbing and electrical depts. I would give pretty high odds that you will have a leak

Your siliconed joints may be fine but the others not so and the tape stretches nice and tight and looks good too if you get in your case grey. It comes in other colors.

So everything seems to be pretty dry so I figured I'd try first start up. Everything seems to be working except for the igniter. Pulled igniter out and it's bent and old looking. I just ordered another one for $55 so will try that.

I had 120 getting to the igniter wires and if I hook up igniter straight to wall outlet still nothing. So I think I'm on the right path.

Brand new or new to you? What model of USSC stove? If I recall correctly, USSC wants install with a 3' rise outside or an outside air kit with horizontal install. Do you have the manual?

I bought the stove used for $300. I don't have a manual but what will the effect be of me just going horizontal out of the wall if it calls for a vertical?

If you have a power outage the recommended rise will help with a natural draft to help keep any smoke from entering home. Now that issue is brought up many get a UPS to negate a minor power issue and I got one more for the power conditioning to protect the stoves more delicate control board. A minor loss of power will often put a stove into shutdown mode even if the power comes back on in a few seconds. At the minimum a good surge suppressor is called for.

Should be a metal plate on the back of the stove with stove company name, model, date of build, and required clearances. Just from looks, it may be a multifuel model 6041. http://www.usstove.com/Manuals/USSC/6041.pdf If it is different, you can download the manuals from the company website under "support"

The 3' rise allows for easier drafting of exhaust, less smoke-back in event of power failure. Straight horizontal install is not an option on that model. Home owners insurance and local municipality/county requires install per manufacturer's specs...

Make sure you have surge protection on it and smoke/CO detectors installed!

Well your next trip to the store put the roll of tape on the list. Usually in either plumbing and electrical depts. I would give pretty high odds that you will have a leak

At my big box store (I think it was Home Depot, maybe Lowes) the silicone tape was in of all places the paint department. Go figure.

Should be a metal plate on the back of the stove with stove company name, model, date of build, and required clearances. Just from looks, it may be a multifuel model 6041. http://www.usstove.com/Manuals/USSC/6041.pdf If it is different, you can download the manuals from the company website under "support"

The 3' rise allows for easier drafting of exhaust, less smoke-back in event of power failure. Straight horizontal install is not an option on that model. Home owners insurance and local municipality/county requires install per manufacturer's specs...

Make sure you have surge protection on it and smoke/CO detectors installed!
Well crap... I have the 6041tp. I guess I need to run that then...

What's the distance from the window? Could be a concern if you plan to have it inspected by the locals. Also there are a lot of twists and turns in your vent before you get to a good natural flow...you may be able to reduce by going on a diagonal? Be mindful of the EVL:

In order to determine if you can use 3" diameter pipe, you need to calculate your EVL (Equivalent Vent Length). To properly calculate your EVL you should make a simple sketch of your planned installation. Then use the figures below to determine your EVL:

• 90 degree elbows or cleanout tees count of 5' of pipe
  • 45 degree elbows count as 3' of pipe
  • Pipe running horizontally counts as 1' of pipe for 1' of pipe
  • Pipe running vertically counts as 1/2' of pipe for 1' of pipe

20161001_130214-jpg.184849.jpg

I feel like j just got over whelmed lol
Do I need to get inspected? Do I need to fix the pipe? Do I need to run up the side of the house?
I called my homeowner's insurance and they said just out it in and we will add it as another heating source. I said do I need to get it inspected or have a professional install it? They say no just install and your good to go. I feel like I got the wrong info from them based on the feedback I'm getting here.... [emoji53]

Not supposed to have more than 180 degrees of elbows/clean out t's... per the manual. May be able to clean up the inside rotating the angles and a short section and put the clean-out outside for that 90 elbow.

May need to get a strap wrench to disconnect pieces of pipe with RTV on them! Hoping this is a dry fit for now...

Take a deep breath and work through this slowly. While doing your rethink, you may want to add an Outside Air Kit.

Reactions: FirepotPete
Then use the figures below to determine your EVL
USSC manual stays silent on EVL just says not higher than 12' vertical and max 180 degree elbows which would put it between 15-20 EVL. As it sits with the additional elbow and 3' vertical, it likely should be 4" venting.

USSC manual stays silent on EVL just says not higher than 12' vertical and max 180 degree elbows which would put it between 15-20 EVL. As it sits with the additional elbow and 3' vertical, it likely should be 4" venting.
So what your saying is that per manual it needs to be changed? I would need to reposition stove out of the corner and just on one wall then run a elbow to go vertical up the house correct?

Then I would aslo have to patch my hole and lower the hole in order to go straight from the stove to the outside then 90 clean out then up the rest of the way to to the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.