United states pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
24ed5d6de3c8695e37783d266b21214c.jpg

How about this guy's? Then 90 degree outside then up the house.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

That looks like it's the way you'll need to do it. You do have an abundance of 90º bends...I'll see if I can find the chart and see if you're under 20 (?).

Another 90º on the top, though it should be counted, should be OK even if it takes you over. But yeah, I'd do a 90º there to keep the exhaust pointed down.

OK....

90º bends = +5.0
Horizontal 1 foot = +1.0
Vertical 1 foot = +0.5

Currently you have
Three 90º = +15
Horizontals look like 3 feet (?) = +3
Verticals look like 5 feet (?) = +2.5

If so you're at at 20.5 point here, adding another 90º at the top kicks you to 25.5.

If it were me I'd run it like that, but only after verifying that everything was tight, no leaks, and the burn looked to be correct. And I'd understand that it was my own decision to do so.

0de4424585ba81a24bfc905cb4d07e6c.jpg

Based on the highlighted part from the Manual I can have 180 degree plus a clean out tee right? So I'll be plus one on a 90 but to me a 90 at the end isn't as bad as what I had it before right?
Also should the tee be inside like it is there in the pics or on the outside of the house? Or is it just preference? I don't see anything about the tee other than it says you can't have the tee directly off the stove unless a adaptor is used. I do have a connector right there off the unit.

View attachment 185121

Based on the highlighted part from the Manual I can have 180 degree plus a clean out tee right? So I'll be plus one on a 90 but to me a 90 at the end isn't as bad as what I had it before right?
Also should the tee be inside like it is there in the pics or on the outside of the house? Or is it just preference? I don't see anything about the tee other than it says you can't have the tee directly off the stove unless a adaptor is used. I do have a connector right there off the unit.

With my install I preferred to have the T on the outside of the house, but I designed the install so that the stove vents direct through the wall horizontally to the Tee, up 5 feet vertically, another 90º, then the 90º of the hood. I can maybe find a picture somewhere.

Your install? I'd keep the Tee on the interior. Most of your fly ash will collect at the first 90º bend, the Tee will allow easier cleaning.

And I'm having a hard time reading the attachment you have there. Can you cut and paste just the text you have highlighted?

Yea I messed up on mine did t have the manual thought I could do what I wanted but noooo lol
My hole is already there so I think I'm going to go with what I just mocked up. I got some of the loctite silicone tape. Manual also says 3 screws per joint. Then I'll wrap with that tape. No silicone of any sorts? If any something none hardening maybe lol

Also I have one other issue that I don't like. With how I have it now I'll have a joint inside the thimble. Not sure how to get around that...

And I'm having a hard time reading the attachment you have there. Can you cut and paste just the text you have highlighted?
Termination must exhaust above air inlet elevation. Installation MUST include three (3) vertical feet of pellet vent pipe. This will create some natural draft to prevent the possibility of smoke or odor during appliance shutdown and to keep exhaust from causing a nuisance or hazard from exposing people or shrubs to high temperatures. Do not connect this unit to a chimney fl ue serving another appliance. Do not connect directly to a masonry chimney. • The installation must include a cleanout tee to enable collection of fl y ash and to permit periodic cleaning of the exhaust system. 90° elbows accumulate fl y ash and soot thereby reducing exhaust fl ow and performance of the heater. Each elbow or tee reduces draft potential by 30% to 50%. Use no more than 180 degrees of elbows (two 90-degree elbows, or two 45-degree and one 90-degree elbow, etc.) and one cleanout tee to maintain adequate draft. Cleanout tees and elbows should not be connected to the rear of the unit unless a 3-inch adapter is used. • Total length of horizontal vent must not exceed 48”(4ft.)/1,200mm. The maximum recommended vertical venting height is 12-feet for 3-inch type “PL” vent. For venting higher than 12-feet, 4-inch “PL” vent must be used. All joints in the vent system must be fastened by at least 3 screws, and all joints must be sealed with RTV silicone sealer to be airtight.

Yea I messed up on mine did t have the manual thought I could do what I wanted but noooo lol
My hole is already there so I think I'm going to go with what I just mocked up. I got some of the loctite silicone tape. Manual also says 3 screws per joint. Then I'll wrap with that tape. No silicone of any sorts? If any something none hardening maybe lol

Also I have one other issue that I don't like. With how I have it now I'll have a joint inside the thimble. Not sure how to get around that...

What is the current length of the pipe through the wall now? 18"? 24"?

Last edited:
Says to use silicone. What kind?? I want to be able to take apart if I have to this time.

Says to use silicone. What kind?? I want to be able to take apart if I have to this time.

I'm unsure of the type of silicone caulking you'd need to be able to pull apart easily. Let's let someone more knowledgeable kick in on this.

What is the current length of the pipe through the wall now?
I have all 12inch sections in this kit. So I have a 12inch piece through the wall with maybe 2 inches on the inside before I hit the thimble and with the 90 outside I'm right up against maybe a lil in the thimble with that connection.
So I guess I'm not exactly in the thimble with the connection but makes me uneasy. Only thing j can do is push stove back to wall to fix 90 connection outside but then it'll have pipe further away from siding and my bracket won't reach to secure it to the wall outside

I have all 12inch sections in this kit. So I have a 12inch piece through the wall with maybe 2 inches on the inside before I hit the thimble and with the 90 outside I'm right up against maybe a lil in the thimble with that connection.
So I guess I'm not exactly in the thimble with the connection but makes me uneasy. Only thing j can do is push stove back to wall to fix 90 connection outside but then it'll have pipe further away from siding and my bracket won't reach to secure it to the wall outside

You may be able to find an 18" pipe from the manufacturer? What brand is it?

Sounds like you have 2X6 construction?

I see they have a vertical cap I could buy to rid the other 90 [emoji2]
And a adjustable wall bracket. Expensive stuff but I can make something on that site work.
Thanks for all the help!!

I see they have a vertical cap I could buy to rid the other 90 [emoji2]
And a adjustable wall bracket. Expensive stuff but I can make something on that site work.
Thanks for all the help!!

Be sure to check Amazon, eBAY etc for the same parts...you may well be able to find them a bit less.

It's installed. Wrapped ready to rock and roll. Waiting on my ignitor flange gasket to come in then I'll fire it up and check for leaks.
Thanks for all the help

Reactions: rich2500
Got the the stuff installed and ready to go. Ignitor won't light. Don't glow don't get hot nothing. It's a brand new one because I thought the old one was bad. Any ideas on what to check??
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.