Units with Convection Air Filters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ARGlock

Feeling the Heat
Aug 24, 2010
Arkansas
Given the ash and dust we have to deal with buring pellets, corn, etc. what units have convection air intake filters? Both free-standing and insert units? I wish the St. Croix Lincoln was an insert. I noticed it had a convection air filter.

Do the Enviro M55's have convection intake air filters?

Thanks,
AR

I added one to my Mt Vernon AE.
just did it over summer, too soon to tell if its gonna work ok.
I'm a little concerned over the lack of surface area.
Maybe just have to clean it more often.

ARGlock said:
Given the ash and dust we have to deal with buring pellets, corn, etc. what units have convection air intake filters? Both free-standing and insert units? I wish the St. Croix Lincoln was an insert. I noticed it had a convection air filter.

Thanks,
AR
I didn't see where the Lincoln has a filter... where did you see that?

I was thinking about adding an air filter to the intake of my convection blower this winter......tired of the dog hair and dust clogging the 1/4" metal mesh grill. I think I'll buy a 3M furnace filter and cut out a piece I can cover the inlet with. That should help some.

krooser said:
ARGlock said:

Thanks,
AR

I don't see it listed in the brochure "but" I attended a dealer meeting where one was on display earlier this summer. I'm sure I noticed a filter attached on the rear of the unit. I can verify but I'm almost certain.

AR

ARGlock said:
krooser said:
ARGlock said:

Thanks,
AR

I don't see it listed in the brochure "but" I attended a dealer meeting where one was on display earlier this summer. I'm sure I noticed a filter attached on the rear of the unit. I can verify but I'm almost certain.

AR
Okay... just wondering.

imacman said:
I was thinking about adding an air filter to the intake of my convection blower this winter......tired of the dog hair and dust clogging the 1/4" metal mesh grill. I think I'll buy a 3M furnace filter and cut out a piece I can cover the inlet with. That should help some.

Carefull you could drastically reduce the total CFM output of the blower. Some of those filters hace an SCFM rating and if you drop the size down you loose SCFM's. Remember the SCFM rating is for the whole 12" x12"(or what ever size filter) area your drawing air through. Your fan will work harder too! Berfore you cut up a filter just hold it to the fan housing and listen to the fan.

We cooked a few fans at work when we cut filters to help with the dust. What worked was adding a duct that had a fabbed box to hold the full size filter. We got the same air output and the fan did cook on us.

krooser said:
ARGlock said:
krooser said:
ARGlock said:

Thanks,
AR

AR
Okay... just wondering.

You have to download the manaul. Its there here is the part number for the filter assembly. 80P54000 Only thing I don't get is the stove has louvers on the sides and the Convection fan could draw air through them. The filter would work best if that was the only place the stove would draw air through! IDK!

j-takeman said:
.....Berfore you cut up a filter just hold it to the fan housing and listen to the fan.......

OK, thanks Jay....will do a test before I actually "install" anything.....don't need to be buying a new motor.

BLIMP said:
try aluminum mesh filter which is sold for ac as a sheet & can be cut to size. metal screening for windows might work also

Will check that out too...thanks "Blimp".

Status
Not open for further replies.