Universal Doors - insert alternative

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SterlingSL

Hearth Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Dallas Tx
Had the shop come out and look over our fireplace to see what will fit. They're going to have to do some torch cutting to remove a section of metal from the top rear, a heat tube and the damper in order to get the flue through...

He really started to try and sell us what he called the "Country Flame" doors. In searching this term, all I come up with is the Universal Doors by Magnum.

His selling points:
Will completely seal off the fireplace from air loss.
Amount of air getting to fire is controlled.
Of course, no cutting and removing anything.

I was annoyed to see they run about 1/3 the cost of the insert we were thinking of. A search of hearth.com turns up nothing on this option. Is there any opinions on these?

http://www.americanenergysystems.com/universal-doors.cfm

I think most people here are like me, from much colder climates and heat with wood. For us a set of doors like that can't really compare to a modern EPA insert with secondary combustion and a blower such as the Pacific Energy I have. However, if you're just looking for the ambiance, and don't need any heat from the fireplace, being that you're in Texas, the doors may suit you just fine.

OK...seal off FP and control input air. Is there a blower with air channel in doors and hot air blown into room? If not, tough to see value of spending $1200+.

Status
Not open for further replies.