Unlevel Hearth - construction opinion wanted...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Kelly

Feeling the Heat
Hi Everyone!

Back to the grind tomorrow... for us working stiffs!

I'm about to do the finish work on a hearth for a stove I'm having installed... here's a problem:

Our 250 year old house has very unlevel surfaces. My wife kids that there are no right angles in our whole house (true!).

So, upon building the 2x3" frame of the new heath, I notice that the front of the hearth is a good 1" higher than the back, and the same for the front right of the frame. This is as the frame actually sits flush on the floor! In essence, the whole frame leans toward the front right.

I'd need to shim, or build a mini ramp for the frame, to make it level. Shims don't seem like a good idea, as the parts of the rest of the frame would be up off the floor, which seems unwise with 400+ pounds sitting on top of the frame. Not sure if I want to take time to make little ramp shims. Almost think it would be fine just as it is.

Anyone else find themselves with this scenario? Anyone have an opinion as to what they'd do in a similar situation?

At worst, the door of the stove might pull open with a little more force when left to gravity.

I suppose I could also shim the stove?

Get the hearth level. The stove requires this for even burning. I wouldn't angst over the weight on just one shim. It sounds like you'll need several of them. The 400# will be distributed over the whole area.

ps: what stove?

If the frame sits flush to the floor (no huge gaps), couldn't you just find the low spot (front right corner?) and use a long level to make a level line around the frame (down from the top edge) from that spot? You'd have to disassemble the frame and then rip the frame pieces to the line. If you mark the spot on the floor and the pieces carefully, you should be able to reassemble and replace in the same spot and have a little island of levelness in a sea of tilt! ;-)

Thanks guys... I do feel the need to get some level on things.

I think I'll do a combination of what you guys were saying... I think I'll lift the front left unlevel corner, make a level line on the current frame, and nail on a "header", if you will, more 2x to the front of the frame, which will give me the level base (thus, doubling the framing in the front, which is the only area not double framed). Know what I mean? I will still have some spots in the middle that may be off the floor a bit, but I may do the same in those areas with more 2x attached to those. I think that should do. Wish I had thought of this before I did all the framing! Hind sight... you know what they say.

I ordered a PE Summit on Saturday. Will have it installed a week from today. Better get crackin' on the hearth!

Best,

MK

Status
Not open for further replies.