Unlined stone flu - additional stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger Harris

Nov 28, 2012
New to the forum...

After we froze our butts off during Hurricane Sandy, we're a wee bit closer to installing a wood stove (or two).

Here's the situation:
-Old stone house, fireplaces (unlined stone flues) on each end. There is an addition on one end, and that's the end we're talking about here.

Looking at two options:
- 1. Poke a hole through into the flue from the addition side, line the flue, and install a wood stove. Leave the fireplace as is - with a newly lined flue -[that would be two flues inside the existing stone flue]) and functioning.
- 2. Same as above, except put a second wood stove in the fireplace.

The opening of the fireplace is 44.5"w x 39"h. (1735.5 square inches). The existing stone flue is fairly large (I don't have the measurements on hand) and straight. Looking at the 1/10 ratio rule for flue/fireplace opening, am I going to have trouble accomplishing option 1?

Your thoughts? SS vs. poured? Cost? DIY?

So if you poke a hole thru the side of the chimney and use the same cavity in the chimney to install liners for both an open fireplace and a wood stove, most likely there will not be sufficient space remaining for another liner after installing one for the wood stove. But before we can rule out anything we would need to get measurements of the inside of the chimney.

If you are looking for heat, wood stoves are the way to go, not an open fireplace. Most likely you would have enough room for 2-6" liners and insulation.

According to NFPA 211, you can use a 1/12 ratio if the flue is round, meaning a round 14" liner would handle that size of fireplace. By the time you purchase a 14" liner (not cheap), it may be well worth it to buy a wood stove instead and use a 6" liner.

Thanks CLJ. Based on this, the active fireplace route may not work, but still - I'll get up there and measure the inside of the flu. Right now I've got a little snow on the roof. Standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.