unlocking class a metalbestous pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kniffin50

Aug 9, 2008
in the notch- ct.
took down the chimney today to clean.very nasty near the top.my problem is that some of the sections won't unlock from each other. is there a way to get them apart?Ineed to replace some sections. This pipe is pretty old but most of it's in good shape. Also what is recommended for removing the thick creosote at the very top sections? Thanks-Rusty

The sections should quarter turn counter clockwise. Often after years of use, they just won't come apart. If they are out on the ground you can turn them upside down and spray some WD-40 in the joints. This usually does the trick.
As for the heavy creosote, I'm not sure. I've never really seen creosote in a class A that wouldn't come out with a stiff broom. What stove are you burning?

it's the homestead in the basement, last year was cold out here and the top sections have a tar like look in them,not good.Thanks for the wd 40 tip

Status
Not open for further replies.