Unplugging a Jam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumbles

Oct 26, 2008
Southern Maine
What's the best way to unplug a stove. I cleaned out the hopper (vacuumed it) and should I be able to turn the auger by hand. Of course this happens 1st this this morning. The stove has been working great. I tried a screwdriver up the pellet shoot with no avail. I appreciate any help.

A screw driver up the pellet shoot????? I think thats a totally different forum dude...... ( Sorry, its early in the AM, best of luck with the repair)..........

When that happens to me every once in a blue moon, after i put a screwdriver up the poon shoot & vacuum, i click it on & off then press manual even though i'm running on auto. try that & let us know . Muss

Screwdriver won't do it...at least it didn't for me.

I took a piece of coathanger about 15" long and rammed it up into the chute quickly, about a dozen times, pushing it as far in as it would go each time. The wire of the coathanger will actually curve around the auger.

Jim

No luck getting the auger to turn. I put a coat hanger in the shoot and nothiin. I vacummed it out and got a few pellets, but now the stove won't seem to feed the pellets. The stove is clean and I vacuumed the hopper and the poon shoot. I'm stuck to say the least.

I can feel the curvature of the hopper. The auger light turns on but it won't feed. I push the manual auger and nothing happens but the light comes on. It feels clean up in side the auger shaft. Which way does the auger turn. Should I be able to turn the auger? I've got a call into the dealer so I'll have to see what they say.

I can't turn the auger on my stove without putting a pair of pliers on the back of the shaft and turning it very slowly.
It's attached to a gear box and a motor.

Jim

You guys are going to love this one. I wasn't able to start the stove because a couple of pellts got stuck next to the little gold button under the lid preventing it from closing all the way. It's working now and dropping pellets again. Boy do I feel foolish!. I wouldn't have thought to look under the lid for a pellet preventing it from closing all the way. I also expected the auger to turn a little faster too. Well thanks everyone for all your help. I learned something new today. Have your 1st cup of coffee on me. You guys are great. :coolsmile:

Hey Tumbles, same thing happened to me when i first got my stove. Bonus of owning a pellet stove is that your gonna expand your vocabulary from time time ;-) Muss

I'm starting to play around with the air intake a little bit. I find opening it only a little bit seems to be the best for me right now. What do you find with your stove? Does it depend more on the pellets? I'm getting a more consistent flame with mine now. My dad called after I started the forum this morning and the stove tech told him (during installation) to be careful of the gold button on the top. He forgot to tell me til that point. I should have known it was something foolish. There will definitely be a learning curve. I'm really glad I have people to bounce things off of in a pinch. How often are you cleaning you glass Muss? I'm doing mine atleast once a day. Usually I'm doing it in the a.m and p.m as the glass gets about a 1/3 full of the brownish residue. Is this normal?

Yep, 1/3 of windows is about right . The more you tinker & tweek with your stove, you'll solve most of the minor stuff. I've reread my manual several times & picked up a couple of tidbits that i hadn't read before . Good luck & keep us all posted cause this is the best site for ya. Besides, you'll get a kick out of some of the posts & for the most part no one is above some good olde fashion ribbin' Muss

Status
Not open for further replies.