unseasoned ash wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nwctjeff

May 4, 2008
nw connecticut
I have started burning the new insert earlier than expected, but love it so far. I have 4 cords of well seasoned and dry mixed hardwoods and hope this would last the season. I have always heard in the past that ash wood may be burned as soon as it is cut down without creosote conerns, but have never had to try this in the fireplace. Can anyone tell me if unseasoned ash can be burned in a new (epa) insert effectively? Hopefully I do not have to find out.

The old timers in my area always say the same thing about white ash. They cut it, split it, burn it. Black ash is a different story. I recently cut up a huge white ash that has been laying for a few months. It is still pretty green, so I think I'll leave it in the back of the piles and maybe throw a few pieces in with some already seasoned hardwood.

It's dryer to start, and dries faster than other premium hardwoods. I would split it, stack it, and let it sit until the end of the season if it's needed.

get started on next year's wood now if you can!

nwctjeff said:
Can anyone tell me if unseasoned ash can be burned in a new (epa) insert effectively?

Nope, it will make you sterile and can cause blindness. It should be treated similar in nature to medical grade radiation. Send it to me and I will properly dispose of it (by burning it in my EPA Cert. stove)

Jags, thanks for the offer. Nice to know people are watching out for us newbies.

I assume from the responses that it can be burned unseasoned without as much smoldering, hissing, smoking, and low heat output as other marginally seasoned wood that seem to cause issues in the new stoves and inserts

nwctjeff said:
Jags, thanks for the offer. Nice to know people are watching out for us newbies.

Thats just the nice kinda guy I am.

I've read all the conventional wisdom regarding white ash. I'll tell you my experience, 'cuz I got a lot of it split and stacked. I cut the trees down for a neighbor well over a year ago. The stuff did NOT burn well last year. After seasoning for almost 2 years now, I gotta say, the several splits I've burned thus far this season have burned wayyyyyy better than I ever imagined.

I'm leaning toward letting all my wood season at least 18 months prior to burning, unless it is boxelder, pine, sycamore, or such lightweight stuff.

You sure it was white ash and not black ash?

The various firewood tables I've collected give the green moisture content of white ash as somewhere between 35-45%. That's better than a lot of wood, but not really near the 20% generally considered optimal for burning.

nwctjeff I've been burning ash forever and wouldn't recommend burning green anything in a stove...unless it's a matter of survival.

Thanks for the input everyone. I don't plan on burning any "green" wood. I was mainly wondering how true the info was about ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.