Unseasoned wood no problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenNY

Mar 2, 2008
Long Island NY
I was forced to buy a cord of unseasoned wood ($150 a cord). I called everyone who has wood and no one had seasoned firewood at this time of year. I am almost out and not ready to stop burning. So...despite what I know about burning, I am burning unseasoned Oak. The stove is running like a top with tremendous heat out put and no problems keeping a fire. I am having secondary combustion and little smoke output. Yea yea, I know I will have to sweep far more frequently, but I am shocked, this wood has been down for less than a month and the Jotul F400 is kicking A.

Must be a white oak or relative. The reds would be hissing and smoldering. I've "quick-burned" some white over the years (and cherry, and locust...), but red and black oaks are not your friend if green, or even dead for that matter if it has been on the ground.

Well that's hard to believe...but I believe you. Just keep burning on the hot side is the only advice I have...that'll keep the the creosote down. When trees go dormant mostly all the water goes back down threw the roots...but still it's surprising to hear how well it's working out for you.

I have some I cut and split last fall. I was going to use it next year but I'm in a bit of a bind. It's close to six months old but it's never been covered. I brought some in yesterday after it had been rained on for two days. It burnt fine, took a little more air and left coals longer, but no smoke out the chimney.

The wood sounds partially seasoned. Watch your stack and cap closely and keep burning as hot as is possible.

The good news is that when you start burning properly seasoned wood, you will think you have a whole new stove. It will burn that much better.

I'm in a similar situation....
to be honest I'm not sure what oak it is, but I'm burning some of it that fell and we split last summer.

It takes a lot more air and is a bit harder to start - but, it does put off good heat with little smoke -- it does smoke more on morning starts however.

Status
Not open for further replies.