Unsplittable!! What is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I got this wood for free from a tree service back in February. I finally got to split it it yesterday. At least I tried to. I think it is Ash, which I have always had an easy time with, but not this stuff! It looks like these were trucks of twin trees, maybe that's why they are so hard and stringy. Could I be mistaken and this is really the dreaded Elm?
0612101432.jpg

Here's where I think it was touching its twin.
0612101432a.jpg

Whatever it is, I put it out on the street. I'll let somebody else fight with it. I have enough easy splitting Oak coming my way that I don't have to struggle with this. Nice to be ahead and to be able to be choosy.

Most likely elm, +1. Dreadful stuff.

What I did split was kinda stringy like Elm. I even had a hard time ripping it with the chainsaw.

Hickory is tough and stringy ?

I got this wood for free from a tree service back in February.
Dropping Elm rounds on some poor unsuspecting hand-splitter is cruel and sadistic - right up there with Waterboarding. Those guys probably still laugh about it every time they retell the story. Looks like we need to be protected with warning labels and a truth-in-splitting law :lol:

Looks very elm like.

Just went out and took this shot of an elm on my property:

Attachments

• Elm-Leaves-And-Bark.jpg
    Elm-Leaves-And-Bark.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 583
You've been elmed! :lol:

Its gonna sit on the side of my street until somebody takes it or it rots. I also got some Oak and Maple when I got this. I took the load from their yard, the didn't dump it on me. I did split a couple of them, but like I said, I have enough easy stuff that I can let this go.
Now that it is out on the street, I see that it looks just like the Elm that I put out there about 4 years ago. Somebody did take most of it last time. Maybe he will be back for more.

Flatbedford you just need more cowbell!

Don't wanna talk about it!

Ray

smokinjay said:

Huh?

I beat the crap out of it wit the Fiskars. Even after I noodled it into quarters it was a bear to split. I just brought home about 1/2 cord if White Oak today. Splitting it is like child's play. I'll be a little more careful about what I bring home next time.

Flatbedford said:
smokinjay said:

Huh?

I beat the crap out of it wit the Fiskars. Even after I noodled it into quarters it was a bear to split. I just brought home about 1/2 cord if White Oak today. Splitting it is like child's play. I'll be a little more careful about what I bring home next time.

lol

smokinjay said:
Flatbedford said:
smokinjay said:

Huh?

lol

more cowbell was an old skit of saturday night live.......They keep telling the band if they just hit the cow bell harder and louder it would make them famous.

smokinjay said:

I believe only Bruce Dickenson;yes THE Bruce Dickenson, is the only one qualified enough to
determine how much cowbell is required.
Just remember when using the cowbell to "Really explore the studio space."

Flatbedford said:
smokinjay said:

Huh?

I'm sure that every time someone brings up that all you need is a "Fiskar" and not a splitter someone will quote this thread. It's now in cyber-space forever and ever.
By the way I think my 35ton should make short work of those. And all the strings make good fire starter.
leaddog

You can come and take it. I'll be a little more picky about what wood I take, hold on to my thousand or so dollars, and keep on splitting by hand.

Somebody took some of it today. Hope they have a splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.