Unsuccessful do-it -yourself install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gibson

Apr 29, 2008
Lincoln, RI
Tried to install the liner for my Jotul 550 Rockland today. 8X13 Clay tile flue. Got it down about 12 ft. Snag. Apparently more than some mortar or concrete, seems like the flue tile is slightly out of line, maybe by an inch. Just enough to be a problem for us. We tried many different things before giving up. Any suggestions? I'll be calling for quotes tomorrow.

Was it flex?
I've put flex between two boards and slowly ovalized it. I think applying some vaseline or other grease might even help. But the idea of ovalizing is probably the best.
Sometimes rigid works better than flex - smaller OD and maybe easier to slightly ovalize.

You might be able to slightly move that tile.....or even crack it so one side can shift over a bit. Off the top of my head....maybe a 2x6 with a short piece of 2x8 on the end....drop it down and then twist it when the 2x8 is inside that tile....try to put pressure against the walls.....something like that.

Possibly 5.5" liner is the solution if chimney is tall enough.

We were also thinking of trying to "cone" the end with something so that it would glance off of that flue tile instead of catch on it. It is probably easier in theory than in reality. This is definitely something that an experienced installer would be able to handle with no problem. Will we figure it out or will I hire someone, that is the question? We shall see...

Yes it is flex liner. Ovalizing is an option which could also save me from cutting out the damper. But then it still has to get round again to go into the top of the insert, right?

Thanks

You def need a pulling cone, or make one out of the end of the liner if you have enough extra to spare.

Take a look at this video for one option to make a pulling harness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eufa_-YdnD4

I mashed the ends of my liners into cones with a rope attached to it to pull mine down the flues. On one of the three installations I had to pull it from the bottom up to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.