Unusual warm WV day wood scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
The boys and I got to go out and do some scrounging in the Natl Forest since it was warm today. Last year at this time we had over 2 ft of snow and didnt start scrounging until March. This year have a head start.

Dogs dont help much but they keep the bears away

Attachments

• IMG-20111230-00223.jpg
    IMG-20111230-00223.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 374
Nice Keith. How much longer will we have before deep snow? I've been predicting a low snow year and so far, so good. Only time will tell. I fear this may be a year with more ice than snow.

Are those your bear dogs for real? Hunting that is? The lab dont look like one but the tan one kind of does, maybe coon?

Dennis I am thinking in the next week or so for our snows - thats usually what happens but the past two years we had tons already. Where I am we average btwn 160 to 200 inches a year. We are up in Canaan Valley/Dolly Sods

The tan dog could be used for bear but he is a Rhodesian Ridge back mix - he has treed many a bear and the little guy follows right along. They have even joined hunting parties of bear dogs and treed the bear for the hunters before their own dogs. Today they had no action but where we were we talked with a bunch of bear hunters. In our woods we have lots of guys hunting bear with dogs and they are getting the last day or two in. Without our usual snow depth they have been able to get into the woods deeper and I have been able to still get wood

I was up in the National Forest today myself - on the Va side. I actually broke a sweat filling up the truck. I hear it is supposed to get much colder for us next week. The dogs are a good idea - imagine if a bear got a hold of that saw!

Beautiful country, I'm a WVU grad and lived four years in Motown without a car. Walked up and down those hills all Winter long. Froze my a** off in Sunnyside student ghetto housing, probably one of the reasons I refuse to be cold now!

Boating aint too shabby in WV either :)

I grew up in Cent Pa and started kayaking there. I live just a couple miles from Blackwater. Looks like we will have major cold /snow starting tomorrow. You probably know alot of boaters I do as well as Brad at Stark Moon

Backwoods Savage said:
Nice Keith. How much longer will we have before deep snow? I've been predicting a low snow year and so far, so good. Only time will tell. I fear this may be a year with more ice than snow.

I reckon we'll have a mild winter here with a late cold snap.

Great for getting ahead with the wood!!!!!

And I love having a dog like that to keep bears away..... ;-)

Good looking wood. Sure if pouring out the sap. Bet it was great to get out!

Status
Not open for further replies.