Up against a wall......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
It was the beginning of January when we had a 1/2 cord of wood delivered.........I could have ordered more, but didn't.......now here it is just after Valentine's Day, and I've got MAYBE two 24" rings full worth of wood left; I'm out of kindling, (easily fixed) and I have major renovations of my home going on.

There's a 30 yard dumpster in my driveway, and I don't want to block off the workers with a load of wood being delivered, .....never mind trying to negotiate over all their equipment to stack the wood out back.

I'm protecting what wood I have left and not burning regularly right now, like we were during January.

What to do............

I suppose I should wait til Spring and not get wood til then......

-Soupy1957

You can get some wood or not get some wood. Tuff decision

soupy1957 said:
It was the beginning of January when we had a 1/2 cord of wood delivered.........I could have ordered more, but didn't.......now here it is just after Valentine's Day, and I've got MAYBE two 24" rings full worth of wood left; I'm out of kindling, (easily fixed) and I have major renovations of my home going on.

There's a 30 yard dumpster in my driveway, and I don't want to block off the workers with a load of wood being delivered, .....never mind trying to negotiate over all their equipment to stack the wood out back.

I'm protecting what wood I have left and not burning regularly right now, like we were during January.

What to do............

I suppose I should wait til Spring and not get wood til then......

-Soupy1957

I think McGyver would resort to using the wood from the demo. :lol:

Do they work on your house on the weekends? Maybe have the wood delivered on a Saturday so it doesn't get in the way?

I think that post was someome talking to hear their head rattle

I agree, cozy heat..................I suppose I could have had a FULL cord delivered initially, but I was not prepared to store that much, at that time. I guess I'll burn conservatively til Spring.

What are the chances of finding seasoned, dry & split firewood in the Spring in New England????? (or am I better off getting green wood this Spring, (already split) and letting it age through the summer here????

I've estimated I'll need 3 cords for next year.............plus kindling.

-Soupy1957

Don't know what your demo is, but, well, wood is wood. I wouldn't load the stove up to the brim with wood from your demo, but an acceptable fire is no doubt doable, though it probably needs more attention and more frequent smaller feedings then a cordwood fire.

soupy1957 said:
I agree, cozy heat..................I suppose I could have had a FULL cord delivered initially, but I was not prepared to store that much, at that time. I guess I'll burn conservatively til Spring.

What are the chances of finding seasoned, dry & split firewood in the Spring in New England????? (or am I better off getting green wood this Spring, (already split) and letting it age through the summer here????

I've estimated I'll need 3 cords for next year.............plus kindling.

-Soupy1957

You're best off, of course, getting green wood this spring and letting it dry, but whether it will dry enough to use next winter depends on where you stack it, how you stack it and how big the splits are.

As for burnable wood now-- go see if there's anybody selling kiln-dried firewood at a reasonable price who will deliver to your area. I just broke down and did that rather than pay the oil company. I paid $165 for half a cord (including a $30 delivery charge for a 30-mile run), which is a lot more than green wood goes for here, but not outrageous. You'd likely pay more in Connecticut, but it's worth looking into. It will also show you what really dry wood is like in the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.