Up and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadet40

Nov 5, 2009
Maryland, Harford Co.
Hi all,

Long time follower. First time poster.

We have a Quad Mt. Vernon AE insert purchased in Nov. '08. I thought I would post our experience so far. Last season we burned exactly 4 tons of O'Malley hardwood pellets (happy with them, but don't really have a comparison). The Quad is in a centrally located great room in our 2-story colonial (about 3200 sf). It is an open floor plan. The stove became our primary heat source shortly after installation and actually kept the entire house more comfortable than our oil burner. Since we set the thermostat back at night and during the day, we used both oil and pellets to bring the house up to temperature at night and in the morning. Otherwise, we use only pellets. We used only about 10% of the oil used in previous seasons. After about 2 days of using the stove, we let it go during the night and while gone during the day. No problems at all.

For those with this stove, the stove is now set at manual, med-low, flame height -4. Once it get colder, I will probably move it to med, and then maybe med-high. Have never needed to burn on high to keep the house warm, even during some pretty cold days last winter. We burned for awhile last year on auto, but seemed to use more pellets. Yes, I installed an OAK (home made, not Quad) and it works great.

My routine is pretty simple. During the cold season, we will burn 1.5-2 bags per day. The stove gets vacuumed and the glass cleaned every day (5 minute job). I use a 5 gal shop vac with fine dust bag. Once or twice a week the ash drawer gets emptied. Each weekend, the stove gets a complete cleaning, including the heat exchanger (about 1 hour). Last season, I removed the combustion blower after 2 tons to clean the liner, and did the same at the end of the season. I have seen all the posts about the leaf blower and other cleaning methods. The installer said all they do is tap on the flexible liner above the stove (it actually goes up 25 feet), remove the fan, and vacuum up what fell down. So, that is what I do. I will probably do this a little more often this year.

This is great forum, and made me a much more confident first time pellet burner. I hope this post will help someone else.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 429
Welcome aboard! Great looking stove and living room. Dog looks so comfortable, you might think he wasn't breathing.

Nice looking install and looks like the pooch is a very happy one. Funny how the pets like the warmth as much as the owner's.

Welcome Kadet40 ...... like you, we got our first pellet stove last December..... it changed our home into a very comfortable space that we now enjoy living in. This site has helped me to learn about many projects and devices we can build or buy to improve and hone this nice way of heating our home. Our 2 pups regularly jocky for position in front of our stove on their pet bed. Your living area looks really cozy and your pooch looks happy and contented in front of your stove.... nice setup...........cc
:)

Kadet40 said:
Hi all,
The stove became our primary heat source shortly after installation and actually kept the entire house more comfortable than our oil burner.

Sounds very familiar. We only run the oil/fhw loop when it is extremely cold out, and even then, it is mostly just to keep the pipes in the crawl space under the addition from freezing. Our Mt Vernon AE insert can pretty much heat the whole house comfortably (single level ranch).

Kadet, just want to say "ditto" to all the comments above...great looking install & room looks so cozy!. Welcome to the forum!

PS It's amazing how the animals gravitate toward these stoves. Nice looking dog. :)

Thats a very nice looking setup you have there... the dog is a lot like mine, they love laying near the insert. I have the Quad Castile insert, and I just wanted to say that my maintenance is similar to yours but I dont have to clean my glass daily, why I dont know, it stays clean as can be for about 3 or 4 days before I need to just use a damp paper towel and wipe it off. I do the vacuuming with an ash vac every couple of days, and weekly I pull it all apart and give it a really good cleaning like you do. I have been burning Country Boy White Lightning hardwood pellets, and they seem to burn real clean and hot, maybe thats why my glass stays clean for days I dont know.

Looking good, congrats! You can put something else in place of the bellows as you
won't be needing it anymore.
cartwheel.gif

Good catch on the bellows. I have been thinking the same thing. It won't be moving anytime soon, since it was an Xmas gift from my father-in-law a few years ago (before the stove). Best to pick these battles carefully.

Kadet40 said:
Good catch on the bellows. I have been thinking the same thing. It won't be moving anytime soon......

I think it looks good there anyway, even if it's not needed.....adds a bit of "rustic charm". :)

Very nice looking install. Congrats!

BTW- welcome to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.