Up date to what has been going on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

I visited my mother in law a couple weekends back and noticed se was refusing to eat. My brunt approach I confronted her and told her the lack of eating right got her in this situation in the first place. That nothing has changed,do you want to get out of here or do you have a death wish? Well this did not sit right with my wife. I got the silent treatment for days and what right do you have speaking to my mother that way? Well it worked plus I spoke to the administration gave them a Franklin my last money /I had in my wallet to get some nutritional snacks . Well it working she is eating and claims to be able to attend the wedding. My wife does not know about the /Franklin or the attempt to embasis the convalescent center into taking care of my mother in law. Slow but steady progress is happening. My wife is speaking to me but does not know about the Franklin .

We went on Vacation Sunday remote cabin in Wellfleet MA no phone no computers. Labor day I was surf casting getting nothing. 9:00 Am putting the tackle and poles away, when 5 pk trucks arrived announcing a school was heading our way. One pole and limited tackle I headed for the beach, within the next 45 minutes I landed 5 blue fish between 15 to 20 lbs, but lost 4 lures and rigs. I ate fish the next 3 nights. Then the Northeast winds and abundant seals arrived no fish anywhere. Last night at Race point, I watched the sun set over the ocean while we had a cook out on the beach. I have biked 30 or more miles on the bike trails ,just me and Ellen . One night I went freshwater fishing caught a 5 lb small mouth Bass Not bad not bad at all. This morning the wind shifted to South west ,but no fish. f
Finally I noticed a few birds off to my right 500 yds away mulling around ,so I venture over there. First cast possibly 100 yds out I get a hit. I mean my pole is bending so much the tip is hitting the water. Im using 15 lb test line. I can’t horse it in ,so I walk it up the beach then reel. Slowly I’m gaining ,but I’m walking side ways and at the point of line breakage time and time again. The struggle probably lasted 20 minutes ,but It easily could bave been more. By now most of the other fisherman and beach goers are cheering me on. Finally I gamble an give an extra tug, to have this fish ride the last wav in . It worked I beached a 36” striper bass =Using 15 lb test line no easy feat by any means. Probably 30 lbs of fish. Boy did this make my day and vacation. About this time My wife arrived with the dogs to walk the beach. Catching the only fish priceless, catching a striper from the surf with witnesses made the entire vacation..

I came home to play golf hit the birdie pool for $95 Good day and my team made the playoffs.

Since I have been away what is happening to Begreen’s son? Please tell me good news?

thats some great fishing. i've surf fished a few times down at the jersey shore and have never caught anything more than a couple baby sand sharks. i have caught stripers and blues in the same day off a boat and know the difference in fight. when the striper pulls baby that rod tip goes down and you're like whoa momma!

I wouldn't have my buddy Elk's spelling any other way.

Glad ya had a good vacation Elkman. Haven't had one in seven years and am ready for one. The folks coming on asking about burning in oil barrels with the pipe out the window will be all of the stress you can handle for the next few months.

Keep your head down and that left arm straight. Well, unless your name is really Travino.

Welcome back Elk. We have good news too. My son has no permanent damage and we are told that back on meds, he should be fine. He has recovered well and no reoccurances. Life is returning to normal and we are slowly relaxing. If all goes well he will be heading off to college in a week and I will be leaving for Europe the day after.

BeGreen said:
Welcome back Elk. We have good news too. My son has no permanent damage and we are told that back on meds, he should be fine. He has recovered well and no reoccurances. Life is returning to normal and we are slowly relaxing.

Fantastic news BG!

Glad to hear that things are getting better for you Elk and Begreen..

Glad all is well BG., and same to you ELk, way to go ! That Franklin was well spent, peace of mind and maybe taking a little anxiety out of the picture is priceless. Behind the back actions will be rewarded twofold. I fish the LI Sound off a party boat, but it dosent sound like half the fun of surf fishing. But I know when them blue's hit! I wasnt paying attention once , had my finger holding the line while the bail was open, bam, spun like crazy out away from the side of the boat, had a heck of a time cranking that baby in, Almost the pool winner, till some lady almost dropped her pole winding in some type of fork tailed tuna or something!

elkimmeg said:
Finally I noticed a few birds off to my right 500 yds away mulling around ,so I venture over there. First cast possibly 100 yds out ?

Must have been a good offshore wind that day! I love a good fish story, especially about Blues!

Even with a drag set quite strong It took just about everything I had to prevent the fish from spooling it a couple of times 260 yds of line on that reel and it looked like it was a bout to get smoked a couple of times. But It worked and I have learned how to deal with light lbs test line. Naturally It has cost me a few times but ,
One learns from experience. Not I did not mention the days when every morning and night I fished without any action at all. Yesterday I got lucky, I caught a stray Bass. Right time right place and he liked my lure, Castmaster with the white streamer attached. I do have a picture on Monday's fish, one I kept ,in my wife's camera and she is still at the cape

Glad to hear that things are looking better for Elk and BeGreen. Elk, in an era when older people are often considered a "nuisance" and are discarded, you deserve special credit for seeing that your mother-in-law is getting the care she needs. We get all kinds of calls from/about older people here at 911 and often it's a case of "pass the buck" trying to get someone to give them the help they need.

Makes me jealous to read about your fishing time- I've been trying to finish painting my house, so I haven't had much time on the water lately. Water levels are really low here now, so not too much going on anyway. Just nice to take the canoe out for a jaunt in the afternoon sometimes, whether I catch fish or not.

Elk - Glad to hear progress on your MiL, and sounds like you got some well-deserved rest.

BG - excellent news - hope things are back to normal soon

Status
Not open for further replies.