Up one chimney, down (and into the house!) another...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1869_Caboose

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Dear All,

I have somewhat of a quandry on my hands and I'm looking for help from the sages.

At our home we have a potbelly stove in the basement and a woodburning fireplace on the first floor and while each has its separate flue, both share the same chase up to the top of the roof--the flues run side by side all the way up.

Recently, I've noticed a smokey smell running out of the potbelly's downdraft (and consequently into my basement) whenever I burn a fire in the upstairs fire place. I believe the fireplace's rooftop chimney is higher than the potbelly stove's.

The real bummer is that there are return grills in my basement. So whenever I have a fire in the upstairs fireplace, the basement returns have been sucking smokey air--which comes from the potbelly's downdraft--into the furnace, making our entire 1st floor smell faintly of smoke.

I am getting a new damper for my potbelly stove because the one I have now is only 4 inches and it's in a 6 inch flue pipe. Hopefully once that's done we won't have such a strong downdraft anymore.

Do you have any other suggestions? Should I consider making the rooftop potbelly chimney pipe higher than the fireplace's since the fireplace never seems to have a downdraft at all?

Please advise,

Smokey in NJ

It's amazing what a 2-3 foot extension will do as far as eliminating downdrafts.

The basement will be more prone to being used as an "air intake" because of the negative pressures a basement will suffer from compared to your main floor.

A believe that will work.

Install fire 1 said:
It's amazing what a 2-3 foot extension will do as far as eliminating downdrafts.

The basement will be more prone to being used as an "air intake" because of the negative pressures a basement will suffer from compared to your main floor.

A believe that will work.

Ok so you're suggesting to extend the potbelly stove chimney higher than the woodburning fireplace chimney? They are about 6 feet apart...

Try your damper idea first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.