1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Up sizing a Metalbestos chimney

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by acs55812, Oct 5, 2011.

1. acs55812

acs55812 New Member

Loc:
    Duluth MN
    If a stove/boiler has a 6 inch outlet is it generally considered a problem if an 8" chimney is installed? (I know going from 8 to 6 would be a bad idea).

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    If a stove/boiler has a 6 inch outlet is it generally considered a problem if an 8†chimney is installed? (I know going from 8 to 6 would be a bad idea).

When I did the research for my project I found it was not a problem to go from a 6" flue out of the boiler and increase it to an 8". Most did not want you to decrease it from 8" to 6". It seems like one company told me it would not be a problem if I reduced as long as the draft of the chimney was strong enough. But I would not reduce if I was you. The increase seemed to be fine. My existing chimney was 6" and my Wood Gun has a 6" as well. Good luck. And keep us posted.