Update - bought the Ariens 27 ton splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MofoG23

Feeling the Heat
Within the next day or so I will most likely drag home an Ariens 27 ton splitter from HD. I wanted to see if anyone had experience with this line of splitters as there is not much information or reviews out there (other than the HD reviews which seem to be very good).

I've crossed shopped this splitter with many others within this price range (1k - 1.5k) and the Ariens seems to be better built and well thought out - I especially like like Suby Robin engine and the fact that its made in the good 'ol USA.

Any last minute advice or warnings?? Thanks!

The engine wasn't made in the US...Suby/Robin are Japanese if I'm thinking correctly. But neat that the rest of it was made here. Ariens has always made good products. My dad had an old Ariens riding lawn mower that was 30+ years old before he replaced it.

If I could afford one id jump on one of them. I like how its got steel fenders, and the work area is behind the axle, you dont have to straddle the tire while splitting horizontal. controls are in a great spot too. subaru makes a great little motor too. Go to home depot site and sign up for a moving coupon, and get 10% off.

http://www.homedepotmoving.com/SignUp/Registration.aspx

joecool85 said:
The engine wasn't made in the US...Suby/Robin are Japanese if I'm thinking correctly. But neat that the rest of it was made here. Ariens has always made good products. My dad had an old Ariens riding lawn mower that was 30+ years old before he replaced it.

Actually they are made in the USA.... great motor too!

http://robinamerica.com/engines.aspx

Dieselhead said:
If I could afford one id jump on one of them. I like how its got steel fenders, and the work area is behind the axle, you dont have to straddle the tire while splitting horizontal. controls are in a great spot too. subaru makes a great little motor too. Go to home depot site and sign up for a moving coupon, and get 10% off.

http://www.homedepotmoving.com/SignUp/Registration.aspx

Thanks!

MofoG23 said:
joecool85 said:

Actually they are made in the USA.... great motor too!

http://robinamerica.com/engines.aspx

Made in USA, but owned by Japan. Kinda like Echo power tools and Toyota pickups. I guess I could learn to live with that, especially since in the wood splitter market that's about as good as it gets without getting REALLY expensive.

for what it's worth. had an MTD 25 ton splitter with metal fenders. used it enough that the vibration from the engine to the fenders caused metal fatigue where nut and bolt head had contact with the fender. fenders eventually tore off. if i knew then what i know now i would have reenforced contact points with some kind of rubber strips for cushioning and some wide fender washers. i believe that would have prevented or delayed the problem for a long time. i got a lot of use out of the splitter before i sold it. think MTD makes Ariens so you should be happy with the machine.

leonardo said:
for what it's worth. had an MTD 25 ton splitter with metal fenders. used it enough that the vibration from the engine to the fenders caused metal fatigue where nut and bolt head had contact with the fender. fenders eventually tore off. if i knew then what i know now i would have reenforced contact points with some kind of rubber strips for cushioning and some wide fender washers. i believe that would have prevented or delayed the problem for a long time. i got a lot of use out of the splitter before i sold it. think MTD makes Ariens so you should be happy with the machine.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll probably do something similar to "insulate" the fenders from the vibrations.

Actually Ariens (from my understanding) is not tied to MTD, one of the very few OEM's that have avoided the take over by MTD.

When I compared the two units, MTD vs Ariens, it was clear they are completely different.

I bought one in november. Ran maybe 3 cords through it this year. No complaints, actually does what I need. It's nice to buy something that works when you need it, and keeps on going till you're done. If it is uncrated, check the fluid levels before you get home, might need some hydraulic fluid.

enjoy

I was also recently looking at the Ariens splitter. There are several details I liked. Some thought appears to have been given to the location of components and what might happen when a log falls off the beam. The operating lever can be easily accessed from either side. And you do not have to call the neighborhood weight lifter to set it to vertical.

It is a short beam style. I notice that Brave has also just introduced a short beam style splitter at about $300 or so less than the equivalent full beam style. Anyone have any thoughts on one style vs. the other?

Well I finally brought it home this weekend. I only had enough time to split a few rounds (test it out). I gotta say out of the 2 other splitters I've used in the past, this thing is pretty nice. The Robin engine runs very smooth and fairly quiet - especially compared to the other splitter I've used with a B&S motor. Seems to be very well thought out and built to last...

Tomorrow will be the true test as I have 3-4 cord of maple, cherry and oak that needs split...taking the day off to use it.

Attachments

• splitter.jpg
    splitter.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 676
MofoG23 said:
Well I finally brought it home this weekend. I only had enough time to split a few rounds (test it out). I gotta say out of the 2 other splitters I've used in the past, this thing is pretty nice. The Robin engine runs very smooth and fairly quiet - especially compared to the other splitter I've used with a B&S motor. Seems to be very well thought out and built to last...

Tomorrow will be the true test as I have 3-4 cord of maple, cherry and oak that needs split...taking the day off to use it.

Nice set-up you got there!

Thanks Jay - I've been wanting a splitter for sometime now, so needless to say I was grinning ear to ear on the way home.

MofoG23 said:
Thanks Jay - I've been wanting a splitter for sometime now, so needless to say I was grinning ear to ear on the way home.

When I got mine I had them put a bow on it as it was X-mass time....This should complete your kit nicely and run with the best of them!

Yep - hopefully I'm done buying the big ticket stuff so I can start to see my ROI since we heat 90% with wood.... just need to put a new clutch in the truck and I'm good to go for awhile.

MofoG23 said:
Yep - hopefully I'm done buying the big ticket stuff so I can start to see my ROI since we heat 90% with wood.... just need to put a new clutch in the truck and I'm good to go for awhile.

If you cant get it done with that "KIT" Its time to buy wood....lol

MofoG23 said:

Nice splitter, it should handle the wood you have without any problems.

GIBIR

I actually like the horizontal motor/pump setups better than the verticals. The fenders though.....well let us know how long they last. And I can't tell but it looks like if you are in the horizontal config you would have to straddle the fender/tire/axle assembly.

Yea, we'll see how long the fenders last...no big deal.

As for running in the horizontal mode, you do not have to straddle anything...its clear of the tires. Every other splitter I looked at either had the wheels in the way or the engine.... You can also run this from both sides as the lever is in the center.

I'll snap a picture tomorrow setup horizontal.

Well I had a chance to spend a few hours with it yesterday and I'm very happy with this unit - especially the motor - quiet, smooth and barely sips any gas....

Attachments

• splitter2.jpg
    splitter2.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 600
  • splitter3.jpg
    splitter3.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 580
  • splitter4.jpg
    splitter4.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 329
I think you'll like it.

MofoG23 said:
Well I had a chance to spend a few hours with it yesterday and I'm very happy with this unit - especially the motor - quiet, smooth and barely sips any gas....

Looks very close to the troy built.

smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:

kinda...but there are some key differences... I cross shopped the troy bilt....

At first glance, I thought they were made by the same company but after I really compared the two I could see the differences and found out Ariens is still its own company.

http://www.logsplittersdirect.com/images/troybilt24bg57m3066_500.jpg

MofoG23 said:
smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:

kinda...but there are some key differences... I cross shopped the troy bilt....

At first glance, I thought they were made by the same company but after I really compared the two I could see the differences and found out Ariens is still its own company.

http://www.logsplittersdirect.com/images/troybilt24bg57m3066_500.jpg

Yea I didnt put a lot of thought into buying my splitter. Had a 10 percent off coupon and it was on sale at x-mass time so 1258.00 with tax out the door. Its been a hoss with over 100+ cords and not one issue yet. Honda still starts on the first pull everytime.

I probably would have done the same thing - both are pretty solid units!

Status
Not open for further replies.