Update - FIXED !! Brand New Harman P38 Stopped working after 5 hours of Initial use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BURN2BURN

Sep 21, 2008
Manotick, Ontario, Canada
What a disappointment, I just got it installed and working and it seemed to work really well for half a day and then it just stopped working, the fire went out. I unplugged it for a minute, tried resetting the dial to turbo and it came back on but only for a minute and then off it went again. Anyone had this problem with the P38?

Try putting the stove in Test mode and see if it feeds pellets. If you can hear the auger but no pellets come out you may have a "bridge" in the hopper. Try reaching into the hopper and giving the pellets a good stir. Then try again.

Mark :)

Make sure you don't have a pellet stuck in the hopper lid. It ususally breaks the negative pressure seal that eventually shuts down the stove.

Medreach said:
Make sure you don't have a pellet stuck in the hopper lid. It ususally breaks the negative pressure seal that eventually shuts down the stove.

Good point! While your at it, after checking all of the above, check the door seals as well.

also, if yours has the breather tube in the bin (little yellow plastic thingy), check it out and make sure it isnt clogged

Mark Fellows said:
Try putting the stove in Test mode and see if it feeds pellets. If you can hear the auger but no pellets come out you may have a "bridge" in the hopper. Try reaching into the hopper and giving the pellets a good stir. Then try again.

Mark :)

Make sure the stove is unplugged before sticking fingers into the hopper to poke around. What did the dealer say when you asked them about it?

Glad it was a quick fix and your up and running! These things do happen and it could of been any stove you went with!

I would think a dealer would have test burned the stove to be sure everything is working before sending it off to the customer.

Glad you're up and running....

I'm a little late in replying here but I continued to have problems with this stove. The final straw was when it stopped working on a cold night and we couldn't get it going again. The next day I called the dealer and asked for a new one or a full refund as we didn't trust this stove anymore.

Well, he came through and upgraded us to the P43 model. Since then, I have had zero problems. I think I just got a lemon on the P38 seeing as it's the same thing as the p43, minus the electric start and control panel.

Now thats a happy ending and that's the value of buying a complicated piece of equipment from a reputable specialty retailer. Good job sticking with it and good luck with the new stove.

BURN2BURN said:
I'm a little late in replying here but I continued to have problems with this stove. The final straw was when it stopped working on a cold night and we couldn't get it going again. The next day I called the dealer and asked for a new one or a full refund as we didn't trust this stove anymore.

Well, he came through and upgraded us to the P43 model. Since then, I have had zero problems. I think I just got a lemon on the P38 seeing as it's the same thing as the p43, minus the electric start and control panel.

Absolutely amazing!
Obviously a shame that the dealer couldn`t solve the problem . I don`t believe the stove was a lemon as much as I believe the dealer was inept as a repairman.
It sounds like a classic case where the dealer found it much easier to replace the stove than to fix it.
What`s he gonna do if the P-43 craps out and he don`t know how to fix it? Upgrade you to another new stove again?

Gio said:
BURN2BURN said:

Absolutely amazing!
Obviously a shame that the dealer couldn`t solve the problem . I don`t believe the stove was a lemon as much as I believe the dealer was inept as a repairman.
It sounds like a classic case where the dealer found it much easier to replace the stove than to fix it.
What`s he gonna do if the P-43 craps out and he don`t know how to fix it? Upgrade you to another new stove again?

The owner came out 4 separate times, changed the control panel, blower motor etc. He verified with Harman, and they agreed with him so he wasn't just shooting in the dark. Harman wanted him to take it out and de-bug it at the shop, however he listened to the customer and kept a customer by giving me a new, upgraded unit.
If I have the same problem with this one I'll try another brand if he won't upgrade me again !!

BURN2BURN said:
Gio said:
BURN2BURN said:

Absolutely amazing!

The owner came out 4 separate times, changed the control panel, blower motor etc. He verified with Harman, and they agreed with him so he wasn't just shooting in the dark. Harman wanted him to take it out and de-bug it at the shop, however he listened to the customer and kept a customer by giving me a new, upgraded unit.
If I have the same problem with this one I'll try another brand if he won't upgrade me again !!

Ok , That helps to clear up things and vindicate the guy. Actually if he exchanged stoves at your request you should feel privileged and downright happy cause you don`t see this happening every day. And you ended up with a better featured unit too. A great ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.