Update from The Barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
Middle TN
Thought I'd take some barn shots today after splitting the aforementioned red oak.

Piles:
piles_1-1.jpg

Piles:
piles_2-1.jpg

Piles:
piles_3-1.jpg

The Great Wall of Pine-a (TM):
pine_wall_2.jpg

Again:
pine_wall_3.jpg

A three pronged white oak!
3_whites.jpg

Nice job Pagey, sure looks like alot of wood. Has the weather cooled off for you yet?

zap

zapny said:
Nice job Pagey, sure looks like alot of wood. Has the weather cooled off for you yet?

zap

We've had highs in the 60s/70s and lows in the 50s, mostly. We did have one night in the upper 40s, but I've still not fired off the Endeavor yet.

Pagey, +1 nice. Looks like money in the bank. Are those unsplit rounds pine?

That is a lot of wood! You need one thing... A NO SMOKING sign. :cheese: Could you imagine what one match would do to that place. Holy crap!

The rounds are indeed beetle kill pine. It's all over the place up here. Not a ton of BTUs in pine, but it's free, easy, and seasons fast.

What is that, an old tobacco barn? Nice wood shed, plenty of air movement. If I run out of wood this Winter, don't be surprised if you come out one day to find those BL posts replaced by landscape timbers. :lol:

Only thing missing is a picture of you standing on top of a pile cackling madly and saying, "MINE! All MINE!" It's beautiful . . .

Yeah, that is one interesting-looking framing job. Never seen anything quite like it. I'm guessing from all the racks near the ceiling that WS is right about the building's original intent.

Woody Stover said:
What is that, an old tobacco barn? Nice wood shed, plenty of air movement. If I run out of wood this Winter, don't be surprised if you come out one day to find those BL posts replaced by landscape timbers. :lol:

It was my late paternal grandfather's old hay barn. Dad had considered tearing it down at one point, but it turned out to be the perfect place to process and store years worth of wood!

Perfect is an understatement. Probably a little sentimental value there too?

Pagey that is one serious wood shelter!! Looks like it has been there a very long time!

Ray

Yes Pagey, that is a great woodshed.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes Pagey, that is a great woodshed.

The only real problem I run into is that I often end up with fresher splits in front of the oldest, most seasoned stuff. I try to leave enough room to get at the older stuff from another angle, but it doesn't always work out. And every time I turn around dad is showing up with more fresh rounds! (Not that I'm complaining about that, mind you.)

Status
Not open for further replies.