UPDATE: MS 310 confusion? DOLMAR???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, now that your all helping me out here on the Stihls I'm gonna change it up a bit. Just went to my local Dolmar dealer and he has a new 5100 for $399 with a 20" b/c.(I didn't even know we had a Dolmar dealer here). Is this a better saw for me. I think I'm leaning that way now. I've read up on the 5100 and it looks like they have a good following here and at AS. I expressed my concerns to the dealer about the reading I'd done about this model burning up and he said Dolmar has fixed that issue and it wont be a problem. Is this right or are they still prone to this?

So now what do you think?

RL

I've only run one a few minutes but loved it. excellant saw. light and fast and smooth. better than my old favorite the 026.
the overheating issue they changed is slightly more cooling air for long periods of cutting, say milling, but it is too small for milling.
bigger issue is they are set too lean thanks to our EPA and unless the dealer richens them up, there are some problems, i.e lean seizing. If you have a good dealer, have him set it properly. If not, search AS for how to do it. Just don't run it stock as is.

I'd take the 5100 over a 290 anyday. but I am partial to light and fast even at giving up some maximum hp.

of course, now you have a brand new $400 saw you don't want in the river, and the original problem resurfaces: what can you get for $150 so you don't feel at risk...... but you be happy faced back on land running the 5100. :)

k

RiverLogger said:
Well I'm a little confused about the info I read about the Stihl MS 290 and 310s. It seems that people here on Hearth generally have good things to say about them, but arboristsite guys arent so loving. I have a 372XPW that I love, but I want a mid sized saw to do smaller projects and as a backup. I think the MS 290 or 310 are what I have narrowed it down to. I know the 361/362 are pro saws and probably better, but I have my XPW for that. I dont want to spend $600, but I'm comfortable with the $400+/- for either of these two models. I need a saw that will run a 24" bar, and these will do it. Remember, I'm a west coast guy so I'm mostly in fir and alder. So what is the deal? Why the difference of opinions?

Thanks guys,

RL

A 310 will run a 25" bar just fine

The End

Hi -

I'm in a similar situation with having to drag logs in swampy conditions then buck near a road. I went with the Dolmar 5100 and like it very well. Liggt & fast. I also called the local Home Despot stores very other week for a few weeks and got a Makita 6401. I cut hardwoods to 30" or so and to 18" and 20" bars are doing it for me. I run 3/8 chisel on both.

Heck if the saw ends up in the water your can yell "Thank God it wasn't a Stihl!!

I paid $300 for the 6401 witha a new bar and 2 chains.

Good luck,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.