Update on big cottonwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
A few weeks ago I posted a couple pictures of a large cottonwood in our neighborhood. Some might remember these two pictures.

Cottonwood-Judy-2.gif

Cottonwood-Judy.gif

So the day before yesterday as I was on the way home the fellow was out with a dozer and I'm thinking he is going to try to move that big thing with a small dozer. Just as I got beside him the poor fellow starts stomping and slapping and looking a bit undone. Looked to me like he found a nice nest of yellowjackets! No, I did not stop! I recall one time I was bulldozing some stumps and ran into a nest of them. I was young then but did prove the fact that you can not outrun those buggers! Dang how I hurt and now I keep thinking of that poor fellow. Oh, he must have stopped too because nothing has been done to that tree since then.

Quite the tree! Though if cottonwood, a couple of men could probably lift it up and carry it away, at least when dry...no need for a bulldozer.

On the few bits of cottonwood I've had, I usually stack the splits and take care to put a couple chunks of hedge on top of them, lest the cottonwood splits blow away on a windy day :)

I wonder how many men it would take to move that thing?! Yes, cottonwood does get very light when dry. It also burns hot and fast.

Great pictures.
Typical big cottonwood , hollow in the middle. Dangerous tree.
I've cut some huge ones & you have to be real careful as most are hollow & don't hinge well,
very heavy tree when alive, tops blown out & usually have some dead stuff hanging up there.
Some guy here makes flower pots out of the rounds that last a few years. (better use than as firewood IMO)

Dave I know that cottonwood gets a bad rap but it is not all that bad. Just think of all the fellows out in places like Wyoming and Montana and many other areas where that is all they have for firewood. I've burned a good deal of it myself although not for a long time now. It can give you a lot heat if needed it just won't give you the lasting fires that other woods will. Can also make great kindling wood. The bigger cottonwoods can also make for some good lumber. The trick is to dry it and keep it from warping but if you do it right it can be good lumber.

Bakwoods, it is great for trailer beds and such but once it drys you can not drive a nail into it, I guess the trick is to nail it down green and let it dry that way.

I've burned it, just that I don't go looking for it.
The cotton plugs my Green House screens. We have lots in my area.

I'd say not much over 100,if quite that.They grow pretty fast.

oldspark said:
Bakwoods, it is great for trailer beds and such but once it drys you can not drive a nail into it, I guess the trick is to nail it down green and let it dry that way.

I agree. It is best to drill the holes first.

The age of that tree? It would be interesting to know but for sure I'd guess 100 years or more. It is a little older than I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.