Update on Boiler, Getting secondarys fired fast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie88

May 13, 2011
maine
Getting cold so been fireing boiler up. I added storage now 340 Gal. And I found that if I only put about a 3rd. of wood in to get going I get secondarys fired in 6 to 12 minutes, Then after about 15 total I open door [updraft] and the secondary dont even go out, its a loud rocket sound, I add rest of wood and let it go. around 1.2 hour it heats water to 190* from starting with 80* water. This seems to do the trick? I also found if I inject air on both ends of secondarys I get a bigger and hotter burn, NO smoke at all out chimmey.
Photo is added tank water,

Attachments

• SAM_0684.jpg
    SAM_0684.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 291
ozzie88 said:
Getting cold so been fireing boiler up. I added storage now 340 Gal. And I found that if I only put about a 3rd. of wood in to get going I get secondarys fired in 6 to 12 minutes, Then after about 15 total I open door [updraft] and the secondary dont even go out, its a loud rocket sound, I add rest of wood and let it go. around 1.2 hour it heats water to 190* from starting with 80* water. This seems to do the trick? I also found if I inject air on both ends of secondarys I get a bigger and hotter burn, NO smoke at all out chimmey.
Photo is added tank water,

What boiler do u have?

The make of my boiler is [ 100% Home Made], I did alot of reserch and can say it took some hit and miss but all in all it works very good. I have some photos from last spring on other post, might not look as good as ones you buy,but for $860.00 and a few cuss words it was well worth it. In maine here lately been 20,s at night and 40 in day and I run it one time a day now. for around 1.3 hours. The amount of wood is one and half of clothes basket size, Getting the air adusted is the most touchy thing and the sizeing of chambers. It so nice to be able to just sleep all night and not have to baby sit it at all, I had a wood boiler before just a wood buring chamber and water tank,[new yorker] there is no way I would go back to that. I am somewhat spoiled here, I know a guy at a bed factery they use only hard wood, ash, cherry,etc. All summer they give away the scraps, nice chunks and cut offs I got 4 trailor loads this summer [free] that will last me most of winter, it is all kilm dried and burns hot.
But like I said starting with a small amount of wood does do the trick,

Status
Not open for further replies.