Update on Harman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Just got inside scoop.

Things are quite good - Dane is happy (or resigned), he is in an advanced position in the new company, and actually looks forward to working in his preferred position (development), rather than having the weight of everything on his shoulders.

Company is keeping the same reps and dealers - largely.

New management is on the ball (which I would expect from previous reputation).........

So, despite the (true) gossip and rumors, most of that has all shook out and things are looking rosy. They are all getting back to work, although (as I said before), it will take some time for everything to be integrated.

The best news, IMHO, is that Dane and some of the long term reps and other key players are being kept "whole"........

In the end, given the situation and the needs of the end consumer, I think it will be a positive.

I guess that explains why I saw a tv ad for Harmans at a discounted price
at the local Hearth and Home.

Do you think they are selling off old stock or lowering their profit line.

The new company is smart - Harman virtually never had "sales" or discounts. The new company knows how to move product. Harman has to move the stock that they already built, which is/was substantial.....however, sales are booming (as I'm told) right now.

Of course, individual dealers may have more or less stock, and they have to move it!

Webmaster said:
The new company is smart - ......

Lets see if they're smart enough to make a solid presence
here like the guys from ESW. ;-)

zeta said:
Webmaster said:
The new company is smart - ......

Lets see if they're smart enough to make a solid presence
here like the guys from ESW. ;-)
I doubt it will happen.... I heard that HHT does not allow employees to participate in forums.
This doesn't affect dealers, but I've noticed that even the Harman dealers aren't here anymore 8-/

They learned the industry doesn't revolve around them anymore and that it was a big mistake to miss the show LOL! All that aside they are still hurting on the hearth side of the business. The purchase of Harman was only allowed because of the good price and the thought of market share they will pick up. I guess they didn't learn from the Edward george deal in chicago that they thought would bring them market share but got very little as most of the dealers went elsewhere and kept majestic. In the corparate world they only see numbers. I can tell you around here most of the Harman dealers that I know and have delt with HHT a few years ago are going to do the same thing. I figure it bought them another year to hide the trouble before Hon shops around for a buyer.

I can only think of one Harman dealer that ever posted here and I think he just got tired of defending himself. (Not because he was a Harman dealer but becasue he was a stove dealer in general). Anyway good for Mr. Harman.

Shane said:
I can only think of one Harman dealer that ever posted here and I think he just got tired of defending himself. (Not because he was a Harman dealer but becasue he was a stove dealer in general). Anyway good for Mr. Harman.
There was at least 4 here that I know of....

Shane said:

A slightly more pragmatic reason might be that they all stopped posting right about when Harman announced the sale and troubles! Mid-Season and the company that you put all your marbles behind is about to go down!

What would you do? Hang out on Hearth.com and answer questions? Or attempt to move some of that Harman stock while also trying to diversify your shop for the future?

Yeah, now that we have the Pellet Room, we need some more Harman experts back.....oh, well, sooner or later they will have some free time. Just imagine though - if you have sold thousands of Harman Pellet stoves and it gets cold......you can bet the phone calls and customers are SWAMPING some of our friends in the biz. The LAST thing on their minds is wasting time on Hearth.com

I wasn't talking dealer presence. I meant guys like Mike and Corie
who work at the source.

I suppose we can all speculate. I was unaware of the other three dealers. The one I was thinking of still has time to come and read but haven't seen them post for quite some time. And that particular person seemed to quit posting after some heated debate about stove dealers being crooks, etc. Like I said my view is all about assumption, so I could be, and probably am wrong.
We can all definately agree that having a Harman dealer posting regularly again would be great. A good percentage of all the pellet stove questions are about Harman pellet stoves.

Yeah, I guess you have a point there- time to read, but not to help:
Last Visit 2007-11-27 08:10 AM (one of our Harman experts who has not posted since the begin of oct).

Ah, the system knows all......

But, never fear, other (and maybe the same) Pellet Experts will appear as we roll merrily along.

Status
Not open for further replies.