Update on Jotul F 50 TL Rangeley

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
So this being a fairly new stove and me being a new wood burner (for primary heat, anyway), I thought I'd post a review of sorts. I've been using the stove for about 1.5 months now with nothing more than "could be drier" slab wood and so far it's proven to be quite the heat machine! I've achieved several 7-hour burns so far and the secondaries are SO easy to get going. Admittedly, I did post recently about them not kicking in once, but despite my stubbornness, I'm inclined to believe the more experienced burners on this forum and admit it was, after all, my wood supply. Thank you to all who posted replies! I've actually been able to get the afterburners going with my stove top thermo reading under 300°! For a junior woodchuck, I'd say this stove is THE ONE to buy. It's been the primary (only) heat source in my house since we got it. Our house is on propane, and it hasn't been used for heat since we got the stove. My house is 1850 sq. ft. and with two strategically placed ceiling fans, the heat goes everywhere we need it to. We keep the doors to two spare rooms closed so we can control the heat upstairs better. My wife is perpetually cold and the other night she actually complained about being hot!!! I couldn't believe it! I'd say the stove is a success so far! :cheese:

Reactions: 7acres
Thanks for the update. It is always good to hear that a new model is doing what it was born to do. Out in the real world.

Glad to hear the stove is doing well, the real test is coming, cold weather. 1850 sq ft hope you got your wood right.

Always good to hear a great success story and I'm glad you are happy! Burn on....

New stoves always have a learning curve. With the right wood and the right touch, you should be able to get 8-10 hr burns as opposed to the 7 you mentioned. Best of luck.

+1 on those secondaries lighting early. With the right wood I've observed mine starting to light on the initial start-up and the stove top temps barely touching 200. They (the whole fire really) won't sustain if you back off the primary from WOT at that point but still, that's pretty easy secondary combustion. I can achieve a near-smokeless start up with a top down fire and super dry kindling.

So today I woke up at 7:45 to find a very hot bed of coals in the stove. About 2" covering the whole floor of the stove. Being a cold night before and today staying under 30, I decided to stack it right up and it got blazing quickly. At 8:15 I set it to a quarter open and right before I left the house at 9:15, I threw in a couple "1/2 slabs", as I call them, "set it and forget it" to the "almost closed" position and off I went. My wife got home at 9:30 this evening and reported the house to be 71° with a nice hot bed of coals, which took right off upon adding some fuel! I'd say we have another success story with all of you - the mighty fine members of Hearth.com - to thank for it! I never could have done it without your knowledge and experience! Thank you, one and all!

Reactions: 7acres
Status
Not open for further replies.