Update on my Avalon/Lopi APG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gqllc007

Sep 1, 2014
Albany NY
I have a new 2014 Avalon APG that works perfect in manual operation. The installers connected a skytech remote thermostat. When running the Tstat the unit comes on fine and when it reaches the proper temperature the stove shuts off when it is supposed too but then it throws a fault code and the red light blinks and it wont restart till you manually restart it. I called the place I purchased the stove from and Travis industries recommended that the new updated circuit board be installed. Friday they installed it and so far it made no difference of any kind so we are back to the drawing board.

I spoke with store again and they are ordering a Travis industry remote from the manufacturer in case the skytech is not compatible for some reason

I have a new 2014 Avalon APG that works perfect in manual operation. The installers connected a skytech remote thermostat. When running the Tstat the unit comes on fine and when it reaches the proper temperature the stove shuts off when it is supposed too but then it throws a fault code and the red light blinks and it wont restart till you manually restart it. I called the place I purchased the stove from and Travis industries recommended that the new updated circuit board be installed. Friday they installed it and so far it made no difference of any kind so we are back to the drawing board.

Same here... In October I had the Lopi AGP insert installed with the wireless tstat. The Tstat worked fine for about 3 weeks then suddenly the stove would shut down and the targeted temp. had not been reached. I also had to have another control board replaced because it kept blowing the fuses. I called Travis Ind. and was told to test the Tstat out in different modes. I did this and the same problem. I called the dealership and the serviceman said to run the stove in manual until he receives the new Thermostat. It runs fine in manual, so it's not the stove, however It requires more pellets.

Yes the wireless one. My concern with them is that instead of telling me how to run the Tstat in the mode I want, he is suggesting that I run it in another mode. I happened to like running it in mode 1. Then his next suggestion was to run the stove manually, excuse me that Tstat was not free ($200.00) extra. When I had the control board replaced it was found that the fuse blowing problem was because when the wiring components to the board were being installed they were jammed in tight against sharp metal housing, and the insulation stripped away exposing the metal wires. This caused the machine blow a fuse and shut down. The guy at Travis Ind. seemed unfazed. Hopefully they are reading the forums to gain some insight.

Question for you. Are you running the stove on low temperature while in thermostat mode? And are there pellets on the burn platform but they are not igniting?

If so, I've found that running that stove on low causes ash to stay on the burn platform when it shuts off and that ash can insulate the igniter holes, causing the stove to not ignite and displaying that error message.

Try running it on a medium setting and see if the problem persists. Thats been the solution for many of my customers. The skytech remotes work just fine on those units, but I have seen control boxes overheat if they are in the fireplace and lose signal with the remote. I would recommend if its not, to put it ouside of the panel (yes, I know it'll be ugly) but it'll be functional and easier to re-sync/replace batteries in the future.

Question for you. Are you running the stove on low temperature while in thermostat mode? And are there pellets on the burn platform but they are not igniting?

If so, I've found that running that stove on low causes ash to stay on the burn platform when it shuts off and that ash can insulate the igniter holes, causing the stove to not ignite and displaying that error message.

Try running it on a medium setting and see if the problem persists. Thats been the solution for many of my customers. The skytech remotes work just fine on those units, but I have seen control boxes overheat if they are in the fireplace and lose signal with the remote. I would recommend if its not, to put it ouside of the panel (yes, I know it'll be ugly) but it'll be functional and easier to re-sync/replace batteries in the future.
I am running it on medium to medium high with the thermostat. My receiver is outside and at the back of the stove on the hearth pad. I figured that this was the issue so I would clean my stove and the burn pot. Never any unburnt pellets. I would clean it and it would run and once it shut off (after it reached temperature) it would show that code of red flashing and not reignite. All I had to do was touch the stop button and press the tstat button and it would start right back up with no cleaning of any kind. Right now I am running it in manual on low/medium and turn it up when I get home to medium/medium high

How soon does it call for heat once the stove has gone into shutdown mode? If its fairly quickly (i.e. during cool down mode) its possible that the snap disk is still hot and the stove may still "think" it has a fire going. If thats the case, try operating in thermostat mode 3. That'll act like a high/low mode. The stove will run at your desired heat setting until its satisfied for heat, then will revert to its lowest burn mode until a call for heat is made again, ramping back up to the heat setting you have selected.

How soon does it call for heat once the stove has gone into shutdown mode? If its fairly quickly (i.e. during cool down mode) its possible that the snap disk is still hot and the stove may still "think" it has a fire going. If thats the case, try operating in thermostat mode 3. That'll act like a high/low mode. The stove will run at your desired heat setting until its satisfied for heat, then will revert to its lowest burn mode until a call for heat is made again, ramping back up to the heat setting you have selected.
I am not sure how soon but I will try it in mode 3 and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.