Update on my Englander 13NC (DISSAPOINTED) NEED NEW INSERT RECOMMENDATIONS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usner21

Oct 16, 2009
Eastern PA
As many of you know I have had a lot of topics and posts on the install of my Englander 13NC stove over the last couple weeks. I finally got to burn it last night and I realized it is just not going to do the job I want it to do with the way my house is setup. I am going to be retuning it this weekend to Home Depot and I am going to be purchasing another insert (previously had an insert). I am definitley going with a larger size firebox this time. I am really dissapointed too because I love the way the 13 looks inside my fireplace. I just have to make a decision before I can't return it anymore and i know I won't be happy with it in the long run. Please see my other thread and give me some insert recomendations!

This coincides with my Englander 13NC update post. Long story short I just installed a 13NC in my fireplace and am not happy with it. I am returning it and going with an insert again. (Previously had an insert). I am upping my budget this time to $2000 for the insert. My firebox has the following dimensions, 33" wide, 28" high, and 24" deep from the center of the front to the back wall. The width of the back of the firebox is about 22â€. The walls slope in pretty good from front to back on the sides. (Included is a pic of my fireplace opening.) What is the largest size insert I can get in there for around $2K or less? I will be extending my hearth out. Thanks in advance and sorry for all the posts/questions!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 543
How big is your house? Open floor plan? Insulation? Windows?

kingquad said:
How big is your house? Open floor plan? Insulation? Windows?

I have about 1500sq ft I want to heat. It is a bi-level so the fireplace is in the basement. House was built in 87 and is insulated fairly well. Windows are older style Anderson but are in good shape.

What about the Napolean 1402 series insert? Would that be a good choice? Would it fit?!?!

usner21 said:
What about the Napolean 1402 series insert? Would that be a good choice? Would it fit?!?!

I am almost positive that would be a good fit for that fire place. The 2.25 firebox would handle that space well also. Try www.dynamitebuys.com they had the best price on the 1402 at this time last year when I was looking.

DaFattKidd said:
usner21 said:

I am almost positive that would be a good fit for that fire place. The 2.25 firebox would handle that space well also.

I am thinking so too. I want to be sure this time though. The measurements look good in terms of fit? Also is the Napolean a N/S burn?

Yeah, it should fit no problem. You've got a pretty big fireplace. Do you have a centrally located staircase? This would help distribute the heat evenly throughout the house. My staircase is located on one side of my raised ranch. One side of the house gets hot. Because I have a one year old who gets into everything, putting fans on the floor isn't really an option.

My advice is to call around to different dealers. You might be able to score a deal on a floor model. Brands I would focus on would be

PE
Regency(blower costs extra)
Lopi(blower costs extra)
Enviro
Napoleon
Osburn
Buck Stove

I would definitely not get anything smaller than 2cuft. I would try to go more toward 2.5cuft.

usner21 said:
DaFattKidd said:
usner21 said:

I am almost positive that would be a good fit for that fire place. The 2.25 firebox would handle that space well also.

I am thinking so too. I want to be sure this time though. The measurements look good in terms of fit? Also is the Napolean a N/S burn?
Yes, it's N/S.

kingquad said:
usner21 said:
DaFattKidd said:
usner21 said:

Yes, it's N/S.

DynamiteBuys.com has the Napolean in stock for a pretty good price. Napolean a good solid stove?!?!

usner21 said:
kingquad said:
usner21 said:
DaFattKidd said:
usner21 said:

Yes, it's N/S.

DynamiteBuys.com has the Napolean in stock for a pretty good price. Napolean a good solid stove?!?!
Yeah, it's a good stove. I'd check Obadiah's as well. They might beat dynamitebuys price. It's worth a phone call. I'd still call around locally too. You might be able to find a PE or Regency for $2K. We had a member score an Enviro Boston 1700 for $2200. That's Enviro's high end cast iron model that usually retails closer to 3K.

kingquad said:
usner21 said:
kingquad said:
usner21 said:
DaFattKidd said:
usner21" date="1323459425 said:

Yes, it's N/S.

Yeah, it's a good stove. I'd check Obadiah's as well. They might beat dynamitebuys price. It's worth a phone call. I'd still call around locally too. You might be able to find a PE or Regency for $2K. We had a member score an Enviro Boston 1700 for $2200. That's Enviro's high end cast iron model that usually retails closer to 3K.

DynamiteBuys has the Napolean for $1682 advertised (call for lower pricing). Is that solid? What about the Osburn 2000?

I like my Napoleon. It is a N/S burn stove. I think it is a well made stove, does everything I ask it to. I have a super high chimney,,,35 ft,,and my draft is a bit to strong. I do get overnight burns without much effort. I wish the firebox was even bigger then 2.25. The baffles are my only complaint. They are very brittle, just have to be careful when handling them. I bought mine from a local dealer, over 3 years ago. Best of luck to ya....

Joey said:
I like my Napoleon. It is a N/S burn stove. I think it is a well made stove, does everything I ask it to. I have a super high chimney,,,35 ft,,and my draft is a bit to strong. I do get overnight burns without much effort. I wish the firebox was even bigger then 2.25. The baffles are my only complaint. They are very brittle, just have to be careful when handling them. I bought mine from a local dealer, over 3 years ago. Best of luck to ya....

I have a 20'+ chimney so I should be ok. How much area are you heating and are you getting good long burns?

That sounds like a good price on the Napoleon. Call Obadiah's also. The Osburn is a solid stove, but I'm not sure if it's a N/S burner.

I have an Enviro 1700. Slightly larger firebox than the Nap., variable speed blower, and very well built. It takes an 18 inch split n/s and throws tons of heat. Overnight burns are easy. I very pleased with it.

kingquad said:
That sounds like a good price on the Napoleon. Call Obadiah's also. The Osburn is a solid stove, but I'm not sure if it's a N/S burner.

I have an Enviro 1700. Slightly larger firebox than the Nap., variable speed blower, and very well built. It takes an 18 inch split n/s and throws tons of heat. Overnight burns are easy. I very pleased with it.

Cost comparison?

usner21 said:
kingquad said:

Cost comparison?
It depends. I paid almost $2200 for mine, but this was during the high season and there weren't to many other dealers in my area. Plus they delivered it about 60 miles one way and helped me move it into my basement. I've heard of people paying about $1800 though. Enviro's dealer network sucks, so it might not be an option in your area.

kingquad said:
usner21 said:
kingquad said:

Cost comparison?
It depends. I paid almost $2200 for mine, but this was during the high season and there weren't to many other dealers in my area. Plus they delivered it about 60 miles one way and helped me move it into my basement. I've heard of people paying about $1800 though. Enviro's dealer network sucks, so it might not be an option in your area.

I am heavily leaning towards the Napolean 1402 from DynamiteBuys.com. Waiting for a price quote from Sean. Might pull the trigger today assuming price is good. Anyone want to talk me into something else?!?!

Englander 13 is rated at 1.8 cuft. The napolean 1402 is only 2.25. That is not that big of a difference. If you can't keep up w/ the 13 now, I don't think the 1402 will keep up with you in the coldest temps of the winter.

What stove top temps were you seeing on that 13 anyway?

pen

usner21 said:
As many of you know I have had a lot of topics and posts on the install of my Englander 13NC stove over the last couple weeks. I finally got to burn it last night and I realized it is just not going to do the job I want it to do with the way my house is setup. I am going to be retuning it this weekend to Home Depot and I am going to be purchasing another insert (previously had an insert). I am definitley going with a larger size firebox this time. I am really dissapointed too because I love the way the 13 looks inside my fireplace. I just have to make a decision before I can't return it anymore and i know I won't be happy with it in the long run. Please see my other thread and give me some insert recomendations!

You say that you are disappointed with the performance of your insert. I assume that you are disappointed because it didn't provide enough heat. You state, I think, that the stove is in your basement. The issue may not be so much the stove and its size as it is related to air flow and circulation throughout the house. While a bigger stove is generally better, I suggest that to enlist the help of a HVAC engineer that can evaluate your house and determine if what you want to achieved is feasible. It will cost a few bucks to do this but will save you aggravation down the road.

Good luck.

pen said:
Englander 13 is rated at 1.8 cuft. The napolean 1402 is only 2.25. That is not that big of a difference. If you can't keep up w/ the 13 now, I don't think the 1402 will keep up with you in the coldest temps of the winter.

What stove top temps were you seeing on that 13 anyway? Unless you were up in the 650 neighborhood, you don't know what that stove can do.

pen

I had the stove top up to 700 and then down from there. I just don't like the way it circulates the air. I tried fans as well and I was just much happier with an actual insert. I had it cranking that's for sure. I just think I was losing to much heat to the fireplace brick. My old insert seemed to circulate air better. Would I be able to get an Osburn 2400 in my opening?

Did you have a blower hooked up on the NC13?

No I can't fit it inside my firebox. All in all I just think an insert is the better option for me. Any one have any comments on the Osburn 2400? I am wondering if that will fit in my opening?

usner21 said:

What stove temperatures did you achieve? How much wood was in the stove? I am skeptical that you can determine a stove is not going to work after the first burn.

usner21 said:
pen said:

What stove top temps were you seeing on that 13 anyway? Unless you were up in the 650 neighborhood, you don't know what that stove can do.

pen

I had the stove top up to 700 and then down from there. I just don't like the way it circulates the air. I tried fans as well and I was just much happier with an actual insert. I had it cranking that's for sure. I just think I was losing to much heat to the fireplace brick. My old insert seemed to circulate air better. Would I be able to get an Osburn 2400 in my opening?

Did not see this post before. But pens comments are very accurate.

What size stove was your old insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.