Update on MY experience with Okanagans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trogers

Aug 25, 2008
Southern NH
I had posted somewhere on another thread that I have experienced more clinkers with the Okies this year than last year with Spruce Pointe. I had been running my stove on low due to the fairly warm weather we have been having, which I suspected to be the culprit. Well, I have had the stove on medium setting for the past few days as it has gotten colder here in Southern NH and I am happy to report that there were far fewer clinkers on the medium setting. It seems at this point that the trick with my stove and the Okies is to avoid running on low whenever possible. Also, I have to say that they throw a ton of heat! I wanted to be fair and post an update.

PS. I like the smell of the pellets. Piney smell, but not overwhelming.

I lost my notes on the Spruce Pointes I had, So I am going to need to test them again soon. But your results are pretty much what I have seen. Medium and medium low where a good clean burn. And really good heat numbers from them. Seems to be more Ya's than Na's for them. Only issue is some don't like the smell they have. I would have no problems in a future purchase of them.

jtakeman said:
I lost my notes on the Spruce Pointes I had, So I am going to need to test them again soon. But your results are pretty much what I have seen. Medium and medium low where a good clean burn. And really good heat numbers from them. Seems to be more Ya's than Na's for them. Only issue is some don't like the smell they have. I would have no problems in a future purchase of them.

Yeah, I would buy them again. The Spruce Pointes also provided very good heat in my opinion. Overall, my experience has been MUCH better with soft wood pellets than with hard woods.

I would argue that Spruce Pointe Pellets are one of the top pellets coming out of Western Canada.

havlat24 said:
I would argue that Spruce Pointe Pellets are one of the top pellets coming out of Western Canada.

I would agree with you. The only real improvement could be less dust in the bags.

my experienced with Okanagan is only 2 bags, however I like them a lot:
-good smell
-VERY consistent color
-VERY consistent small size
-little fines in bag
-good heat
-low ash
-my Englander stove seems to burn them slower (this pellet seems to last longer)
-would definately buy them, I hope they're available at a much lower price in Spring/Summer

I have a ton of spruce pointe's very good pellet ,bit more dust than I like,but the real improvement needs to be the bags,there really thin compared to the Lg's I have.

If you can get them, try a couple of bags of Barefoots,100%hardwoods. GREAT HEAT LOW ASH!

Burned 20 bags of SP, my #1 pellet now.

Status
Not open for further replies.