Update on my midroom raised hearth project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang ..thought I'd put up a pic and fill ya in on my raised hearth project.
I decided not to go with the Englander wood stove, but to go with the new Englander Madison ember protection only stove, which freed up some requirements for the hearth I'm building. I still used micore and durock and beefed it up with plywood, etc.
I remembered I had some old galvy around and decided to wrap the hearth with it. I also cut longways a strip to use for the edging of the upper hearth shelf, and then painted an aged bronze finish to it ...which somewhat matches the storage compartment handle on the bottom base. The storage compartment is all-sided, heavy-gauge aluminum so you can throw a hot poker in there and not be too concerned.
On the galvy I removed all the galvanized finish so we're not getting poisioned as we get warm.
The top is finished, and the base area of the hearth I still need to set tile, grout, etc. I also have rope lights that are going to be hidden under the lip of the top shelf and light up the whole bottom base (plus the compartment door). I'll put up finished photo's in a couple weeks ...for now I have to rest a couple bad vertebraes.
Any questions or any input, fire away.
Chow!

View attachment 156856
I'm loving the utility drawer idea. I will be using that in my future hearth pad. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Mike K
It is the same stove paint as your stove just in a different color. BrotherBart's 30NC is painted with this color. The look varies a lot depending on the light. This isn't the best pic for color due to the camera flash.
After looking at this color again, this is the exact color I want to go with ..I like how it goes with the black trim (the door) ...its leaning towards a redder tint ...would you happen to know what paint that is? ..my guess would be mauve maybe. It definitely isn't honey-glo brown, that has almost a greener hue to it. Unfortunately now I'm stuck with two cans of it.
Anyway, can you find out what color that is on the picture you put up? Tx :)

It is the same stove paint as your stove just in a different color. BrotherBart's 30NC is painted with this color. The look varies a lot depending on the light. This isn't the best pic for color due to the camera flash.
After looking at this color again, this is the exact color I want to go with ..I like how it goes with the black trim (the door) ...its leaning towards a redder tint ...would you happen to know what paint that is? ..my guess would be mauve maybe. It definitely isn't honey-glo brown, that has almost a greener hue to it. Unfortunately now I'm stuck with two cans of it.
Anyway, can you find out what color that is on the picture you put up? Tx :)

Noted in the other thread, it's Stove Brite brown metallic.

Hello
So is the rope light in?
Let's see it?

OK, was going thru my photos on my cell and remembered I didn't put up a finished photo ...so here it is. I did end up painting the stove metallic brown (all of the stove, left the door black), nice contrast. The stove color goes good with the brown/reds in the slate tile. Anyway, we think it turned out great.
Still have to figure out where I want to pipe in my fresh air intake ...which isn't going to be easy, considering my crawls flooded most of the year ...a whole different thread for that ...grrr. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20150622_154644.jpeg
    IMG_20150622_154644.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 155
Sweet!

Wow that came out really good, and being centrally located in reference of the popular rooms of the house, it should really work out well, I'm proud of ya and you taught us about creativity with practicability on hearth building *+1

Status
Not open for further replies.